Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ande

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I am having an issue with an iMac G4 12” laptop. Mac operating system will not load properly, and a whirring and clicking noise occurs internally. Upon turning the computer on, after a pause, the screen indicating the Mac logo appears along with the pinwheel icon- this is then interrupted and the screen turns blue-grey and remains blank, with the pinwheel icon occasionally becoming visible before disappearing again. Internal clicking and whirring occurs throughout this sequence. Operating system never loads and the desktop never appears. This is not due to any handling mishap, i.e. dropping, slamming shut or any other contact damage. Please let me know if I can provide further description. Thanks!

Best regards,
Ande

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
By the sounds you describe, it sounds like a failing hard drive. It's pretty common and usually easy to spot. Clicking noises can occur, and sometimes large amounts of files will become corrupt at one time. Start up with your install CDs and run a verify disk to see what's up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.