Mac Outlook express to Entourage problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pedrordep, Apr 14, 2009.

1. pedrordep macrumors newbie

Hello!

I am having trouble converting my Mac (not PC) Outlook Express messages to Entourage (eventually I would like to move them to Mac Mail as well).

On my old iMac I ran System 8.6 and Outlook Express. The messages on my old iMac were mostly saved as a single file named "Messages" in my "Main Identity" folder - this is how Outlook Express seemed to save the messages.

I now have a PowerMac G5 running 10.5.6 and running Mac Mail as well as Entourage. I need to have a look at my old backed-up messages for business purposes, but I am unable to do so. I have given away my old iMac and so now I am stuck with System X and Entourage/Mac Mail.

I have downloaded the PST Import Tool but it does not seem to recognise my Mac Outlook Express files. I tried to open the files with Entourage; my old Outlook Express "Messages file" is recognised (or labelled) as an "Entourage database" but it does not open. I did have some individual messages saved that I was able to simply copy and paste as messages on to Entourage. But 99% of the old messages are stored in this single, large "Messages" file. And it is this file which I need to convert/import and am unable to do so.

How do I convert this mac file into something that Entourage or MS Mail is able to understands seems to be the key question. All of this is very disconcerting to me - I have been a Mac person all my life and given that I am not changing computer platforms, I did not expect to encounter such problems. And there are some important e-mails I really do need to retrieve.

Many thanks for any help and suggestions.

Pedro

2. pedrordep thread starter macrumors newbie

I should add that I have tried the Import From Program (and the Outlook Express 5 option) command from Entourage, but it did not seem to recognise the stored "Messages" file even though i know it is an Outlook Express file.

3. kahlil88 macrumors member

kahlil88

I recently had to migrate some old OE mail to a newer program. Get the latest Eudora, import your mail and address book into that, and then import from Eudora if Entourage supports it.

4. mark767 macrumors newbie

I did the transfer using Mozilla Thunderbird.

outlook express export ---> Thunderbird ----> Export as MAIL format ----> Import to iMail.

Should work for Entourage as well.

Mark.

5. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I'll admit that I'm not an expert on going from the old Outlook Express for Mac to Entourage. You might want to ask your question on the Entourage product forums, because people who are an expert in such a thing hang out there and answer questions.

Regards,
    Nadyne.