mac ox x 10.6.2 causes flash to crash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackrock4953, Nov 10, 2009.

1. blackrock4953 macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2009
    is anyone else having this problem? i updated to 10.6.2 yesterday and now my Flash doesn't work. i can run .swf, but i can't run .fla files. it'll crash my computer every time.

i'm a designer and i have adobe design premium and all the softwares are up to date.

can someone help me out? i've been on hold with adobe support for an hour.
  2. itou macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2008
  3. xgman macrumors 601

Aug 6, 2007
    In cases like this i find that a complete uninstall of the program itself (adobe) and reinstall including any pref files may just rest things properly.
  4. stevelgr macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2009
    I'm having the same problem. Has anyone come up with a fix or workaround?
  5. kivcreative macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2009
    Chicago NW suburbs
    Unsuccessful solutions

I had the same problem immediately after upgrading to 10.6.2.

I can open my Flash CS4 (v. app, but when I try to open any .fla it crashes after about 2 seconds.
    Flash was giving me no problems with Mac OS X v. 10.6.1.

None of these attempts to fix the problem worked:

First, I dumped my Flash preference files and restarted the app.
    Then, I restarted in single user mode and ran /sbin/fsck -fy which found no problems.
    Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Flash CS4 (three times).
    Then I upgraded Flash 10.0 back up to v. 10.0.2
    Then I ran the 10.6.2 update (combo) based on a posting I saw on the Apple support forum.

My next step is to reinstall Snow Leopard. Cross your fingers for me.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
  6. stevelgr macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2009
    kiv - I created a new account on my machine and I"m not having any problems running Flash under that account. Eventually I will take on the task of reinstalling CS4 and the OS.
  7. kivcreative macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2009
    Chicago NW suburbs

This is a great clue, Steve. It worked for me, too.

So the question seems to become: what is it about my main account settings that creates this problem? I think I'll try to slowly add matching settings to my new account to see if I can make it crash.
  8. kivcreative macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2009
    Chicago NW suburbs
    Resolution of the problem (for me anyway)

A user on an Adobe Flash forum suggested that one or more of my fonts was causing the problem. That turned out to be true.

Here's what I did:

I went to my user/library/fonts folder and dragged all of the contents to a new folder on my desktop. Then I restarted my Mac.

I opened Flash, and it worked perfectly (though the fonts I used in the .fla weren't available). I reloaded the needed fonts by dragging them from that desktop folder back into my user/library/fonts folder.

I'm reloading the fonts a few at a time and will, by this process of elimination, discover which one(s) caused the crash.

A side benefit of removing the nearly 1000 fonts has been that all of my apps are running much better. Lesson learned for me.

Good luck.
  9. durija macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2008
    Yes, loading hundreds or thousands of fonts on your system can really bog things down and create problems. In the printing industry we have to deal with huge numbers of fonts and so use font management software. A popular choice is Suitcase Fusion 2, but there are certainly others.
  10. iTechSup macrumors newbie

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    My adobe flash doesn't crash on 10.6.1.

if your flash player crashes, then that's the new stupid safari 4 which really sucks. I can't believe apple allows to download safari 4. It crashes, it laggs, freezes.
  11. kruegerson macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2009
    Worked for me as well.. you saved my day! Thank you!
  12. MacTech68, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  13. graphixm3 macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2009
    Bad Bad Font - Goudy

After a week of installing, uninstalling, reading every article I can find, came across this thread and found the font that was killing my Safari and several other CS3 programs was Goudy...hope this far so good.
  14. acady macrumors newbie

May 19, 2008
    Flash Player causes trouble

I had the same trouble, but nothing quoted here worked for me. I found a solution in another thread about problems with Safari and flash player so I installed the pre-release of flash player 10.1.51 and this did the job.
    (since some hours....)
    good luck!
  15. EJSDesignWork macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2010
    Thank you thank you thank you!

I just thought I was SOL until I worked some font magic... genius! Thanks again!