Mac Pages Question I've Struggled With FOREVER!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by UtahRugbyGuy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. UtahRugbyGuy macrumors newbie

k, I'm a graphic designer and normally use InDesign to do all my page layout but occasionally clients ask for a document that they can edit and update themselves, so Pages and Word are sometimes a necessary evil. Pages being far less evil than Word, but to my point.

At the bottom of every Pages document there is an embedded thin text "strip/box" that is stuck there and I can't remove it since the day I opened Pages for the first time and it's finally time I figured out how to remove it because it automatically kicks text to the next page if it touches that box. i've tried resetting the margins, i've tried physically digging a butter knife into my screen to gouge it out but nothing works.

Can someone please tell me how to remove it so i can just have text there? Please? I know where the margin is and i'll make sure it doesn't print off the page. Me smart. Thank you sooooooo much in advance.

Attached Files:

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It's the box for the footer, should you want one. To remove it (this is in Pages 08 so yours may be different), open the inspector (CMD + ALT + i) and on the first button at the top under Document, uncheck "Headers" and "Footers".

3. UtahRugbyGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Omg, thank you so much. I've just found the smartest person alive today.

I know it's one of those things that's super easy once you figure it out but it's been driving me crazy for years! ...it's one of those things that if you do a search "Mac Pages remove text box" a million things come up but that would never be one of them :) ...so, thank you again! I owe you a beer.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I know the feeling. I'm awful with any office doc program, its just not something I use, I use art and game development programs. If I need help on something I usually see a string of non-relevant stuff and when I do find something relevant, its usually someone saying "That question is asked all the time you need to google it" and I'm back at square one!

Surprisingly I actually knew the answer to your question since I had the same one myself before but luckily another poster answered it already :)

5. Oadbylad macrumors newbie

Oadbylad

:D the butter knife sounds like a rugby supporters:eek: answer not that youd get to see many good games in Utah :eek:

6. UtahRugbyGuy, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

UtahRugbyGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, dude, you have no idea. Maybe we're not known for a lot of things besides having horns and 19 goat-brides but if you're familiar with rugby at all, it's one thing we are good at. (and football, which my HS team was ranked 7th in the nation my year and went undefeated and won state in 5A).

There was a dude named Larry Gelwix (google him if you don't believe me), who they made a movie about recently called Forever Strong (which was at best okay, albeit cheesy after-school type quality movie), brought rugby to Utah from New Zeland back in the early 70's and a team called Highland has been winning the national rugby title almost every year ever since. In fact, they have won it 20 times in 35 years. ...and the years they didn't win, they were likely the team that got beat, meaning they have been in almost ALL of the national championship finals games since it's beginning.

The most any other team has won is twice. Highland is always the team to beat and all the other HS teams in Utah raise their competitiveness every year to challenge them and beat them regularly. In fact, my team, Skyline Eagles beat them twice my year because even though their coaching is unmatched, our talent and athleticism my year was unbelievable. Take me for example, I am 6' 3" and can (or could, rather) run the 40 yard dash in 4.57 seconds. Those are NFL numbers.

Back when I played, there weren't enough HS teams to fill a full season so we had to play college teams and men's leagues and we went undefeated until the national championships, where we got beat by a team from Littleton CO, that was actually inferior but had their best day of rugby ever and beat us. Not making excuses, they beat us, but 9 out of 10 times, we beat them. In fact, in the regular season, we beat them 49 - 6 AND the team we played to win the losers bracket was, guess who, Littleton, CO, who we beat 63 - 12.

We just had one bad game that put us in the losers bracket but we won that and took 4th. It sucks because everyone was predicting it'd be us and Highland in the finals since we beat them twice that season and we never got a chance to play them. We would've beat them again because we had their number that year but we ****ed that all up ...and of course, they beat a team from NY called Xavier like 50 - 16.

Not only did we beat all the college and men's clubs we played during the regular season, we destroyed them.

Plus, the University of Utah rugby team has been in the national college rugby finals like 5 times in the past 10 years and BYU (a Utah team) just won it earlier this spring when they beat the Cal Bears. Bad at rugby? I think not.

When I started typing this, I thought it'd be one paragraph but you got me going :)

Cheers!

...and btw, I've designed a phenomenal rugby logo for on of Utah's best men's league clubs that was just chosen for LogoLounge 7, an international publication for logo design. Wasatch is the team that gets all the Skyline players (and a few Highland players) after they graduate. Check it out.

Attached Files:

7. wornout macrumors member

The USA are currently playing in the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.