Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I'm looking for the Mac equivalent of the Windows application "Paint". I'm sure no one can understand how anyone could find this useful, but the more I use my Powerbook the more I miss it-just for simple cropping and resizing of graphics which I wouldn't use iPhoto for.

If anyone can point me in the direction of some Shareware or a free download, I would be very grateful.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
have you tried preview? Applications>Preview it should crop and do little things like rotate to an image.

but funny apple doesnt come with paint. . . . i think it was one of the original programs on the first systems that made it an amazing graphical editing tool. heh. . .

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at Preview.

bluebull said:
AppleWorks has a paint application. Too bad it doesn't come with Powerbooks.

Yeah that is strange. Why don't Powerbooks come with AppleWorks? You would think Apple's higher end notebooks would have everything the lower end ones have and more.

Still looking for a download, and ideas?

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
jsw said:
Ater seeing so many posts about the GIMP, I finally downloaded it (got Gimp.app since it seemed easiest). Thanks for posting the link - it was the final straw which caused me to get it. Excellent app!

Is it simple to use? The screen shots seemed a bit complicated. Does it do what Windows Paint does?

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
What the GIMP does is a superset of what Paint does. Both are raster image editors that work on a level (rather than vector editors that work with shapes, like they let you draw a box, then come back and say 'I think this box should be smaller and have stripes'). GIMP is more along the lines of Photoshop, but not as good. Love the price though.

PS-one essential item-in the readme of GIMP.app, it tells you how to set X11 to have all windows clickable. You probably want to use this, what drove me insane about the GIMP before was that you had to click to select a pallet, then click the tool you want, then click to select the image window, then click to use the tool.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
What about a Mac Paint program, that you can paint in. It's nice to have a simple program to draw in and screw around in. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe even the Paint that comes with AppleWorks?

colinp

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2004
Kev, you can paint/draw in GIMP. It just includes alot of extra features if you want to use them in addition.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
The 2nd and 3rd links by Sigamy are just what I was looking for. Nice and simple, low stress, etc. I especially like how Teal (he 2nd link) has European spellings :D

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I agree, Kev. I'm going to download Teal on my Mac this afternoon.

winwintoo

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2003
Just in case I'm not the only dummy around here, when you download Gimp and X11 and get it all fired up, you'll see that Gimp is not in the applications menu of X11. Seems like it should be easy to add :confused: :confused:

It's xgimp dummy (slaps self on forehead) :mad: :mad:

Don't know how many things I tried before that finally occurred to me.

M

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
wow i feel smart. i just read this in a different post on another subject. but there is a program called graphic converter that looks just like paint! and it even came free with my powerbook!!! i never knew that was there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.