Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerezanito

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Hi I need help from the experts recently updated my MacBook pro 2015 from osx Sierra to osx catalina I have a Windows 10 installed on Bootcamp but now I can’t find the mac partition to set up the startup on control panel on windows only shows when l’m using mac in the system preferences any ideas to fix this issue please thank you..

Attachments

• A58E56CB-FCCE-4F1E-95C1-684A6CDFB19B.jpeg
    A58E56CB-FCCE-4F1E-95C1-684A6CDFB19B.jpeg
    722.1 KB · Views: 954

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
One of the (major) things that happens when you update from Sierra to Catalina is that the format for the drive is updated from HFS+ (MacOS Extended) to APFS.

And, short story, Windows doesn't see any APFS partitions.
If your MBPro now only boots into Windows, but you know that the Catalina system should work, reboot holding the Option key to open your boot picker screen. Choose your Catalina system, and press return to continue that boot.
When you boot back to your Catalina system, Open System Preferences, then Startup Disk pref pane. Set the boot disk to your macOS boot volume. You will need to unlock that pane by clicking on the padlock.
Change the boot drive. Now, if you want to boot back to Windows, go through that Option-boot picker screen to choose the Windows boot drive. And, don't change the boot disk to select Windows while booted to Windows. A simple restart from Windows will then boot automatically to your Catalina system.

edit: Look for the Apple Software Update, while booted to Windows.
Open that Apple Software Update, and run it. You may find out that it will update the BootCamp control panel, and that updated version should see your Mac boot volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerezanito

Jerezanito

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
One of the (major) things that happens when you update from Sierra to Catalina is that the format for the drive is updated from HFS+ (MacOS Extended) to APFS.

And, short story, Windows doesn't see any APFS partitions.
If your MBPro now only boots into Windows, but you know that the Catalina system should work, reboot holding the Option key to open your boot picker screen. Choose your Catalina system, and press return to continue that boot.
When you boot back to your Catalina system, Open System Preferences, then Startup Disk pref pane. Set the boot disk to your macOS boot volume. You will need to unlock that pane by clicking on the padlock.
Change the boot drive. Now, if you want to boot back to Windows, go through that Option-boot picker screen to choose the Windows boot drive. And, don't change the boot disk to select Windows while booted to Windows. A simple restart from Windows will then boot automatically to your Catalina system.

edit: Look for the Apple Software Update, while booted to Windows.
Open that Apple Software Update, and run it. You may find out that it will update the BootCamp control panel, and that updated version should see your Mac boot volume.
Thank you I'll follow your comments very helpful

angga.aripin

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
Heyy, i have similar problem. But my mac is currently in Monterey and i tried to install Windows 11 Home via Bootcamp assistant, but i got massage "this pc doesn't compatible with windows" on setup windows. And then, restart my macbook now it shows a lock icon/padlock. Tried to put in my code but doesn't work/does nothing. I tried all commands + holding Option key to go "Boot Picker" doesn't work. Could you help me?

ya_aleksey

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2023
Heyy, i have similar problem. But my mac is currently in Monterey and i tried to install Windows 11 Home via Bootcamp assistant, but i got massage "this pc doesn't compatible with windows" on setup windows. And then, restart my macbook now it shows a lock icon/padlock. Tried to put in my code but doesn't work/does nothing. I tried all commands + holding Option key to go "Boot Picker" doesn't work. Could you help me?
I had this problem too. Its mdm protection

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If that password box has the padlock, then you have the firmware password enabled.
That won't allow you to boot to a different partition, unless you know what that password isn. It does not have to be the same as your login password, and also not the same as your AppleID password.
Some will call it the "EFI" password.
As mentioned above, you might also have an MDM profile installed, which could also enable the firmware password. An MDM profile may be installed when you use your Mac for business (the company you work for might require that), or maybe your school would have set this up for you?
Are you the owner of this Mac? The status of the firmware password will be in Security Settings, when you boot to your recovery system. But then, you can't boot to the Recovery system, because that will also ask for the firmware password.

If you continue to see the padlock box, and you can't remember the password that you used to set that password, then you will need to contact an Apple Store, or contact AppleCare support for possible assistance with that.
(There's no other choices, unless you can remember the password that you would have used to set the firmware password. If you did not do the original setup on your Mac, you should also try to contact whoever did that original setup.) Good Luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.