Mac pathnames?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eleven7, May 12, 2009.

1. eleven7 macrumors regular

Just a quick question,

When specifying my proxy.pac file's location in Firefox, what would I use as the pathname if I have my proxy.pac file saved in: Macintosh HD/System/

In windows I use:

file:///c|/*FOLDER*/proxy.pac (where c is the drive)

What's the mac equivalent?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm yeah, I tried that, doesn't seem to be working though?

Either that or my proxy.pac code doesn't work in OS X? Anyone have idea about proxy.pac files on Mac OS X i.e.- do you have to write them any differently or use different functions than you would in windows?

I just tried it on XP via VMvare and it works fine.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

5. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link! I had searched around but came up with either windows or server related stuff.

It seems like it is a problem with Firefox, just tested it with Safari and Opera and it works fine.

One thing Safari and Opera also do is automatically detect the system wide proxy settings, as well as letting you specify a proxy.pac file. You would think Firefox would do this but for some reason it doesn't. "Automatically Detect Proxy Settings..." has never worked for me, even in Windows.

I'll keep trying a few different things, might try starting a specific firefox/local proxy.pac thread to see if I get any bites. If all else fails, guess I will just have to stick with changing the proxy settings manually every time I get to work :(

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can open a local file in Safari by just dragging it into the browser window, onto the application icon, or onto the tab bar.

7. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

I might be missing something but I'm not quite sure how that would help my problem of using a local automatic configuration script for firefox?

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ he means drag the .pac file into Safari, it will show the local URL.

why do you have the .pac file in the System folder? dont you mean the root Library folder or your User Library folder?

for the root Library file:///Library/…
    for your User Library file:///Users/username/Library/…

9. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up.

As for the location, I don't really know why I put it in the System folder :)
    Still a new mac user and just dropped it in there as it seemed like a good place where it wouldn't be interferred with. Does it make a difference where it is? I assumed it wouldn't but I'm hoping the answer here is "yes" because it may be the cause of my problem.

I'm out at the moment but will give it a go when I get back.

Cheers.

10. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It shouldn't make a difference where you put it, no.

However, the System folder isn't where a file like that would normally go. If you want a logical place for it, it would be ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox. (~ is shorthand for your user home folder.)

Again, it's unlikely that moving the file will change matters. Just thought I'd clear that up.