MAC/PC Back-up and storage on external drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lucky20lw, Nov 15, 2010.

1. lucky20lw macrumors newbie

Is it possible? I am seeking a solution for my household computing needs. We have a laptop (Mac) and a desktop (Dell). I would like to have one external drive to backup both the laptop and PC and also for storage for both. Is this possible? Would it be a four way partition? The only thing I would ever see a need to cross between partitions would be music from our individual itunes libraries.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Two partitions should be fine. NTFS for Windows and HFS+ for OS X. Install NTFS-3G for Mac so you can read and write NTFS volumes under OS X.

3. lucky20lw thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

6. chinhiphone macrumors regular

if u use nfts 3g... why not just format the entire drive to nfts and use nfts-3g to read/write to the same drive... why even bother with hfs+?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

E.g. Time Machine does not work with NTFS, it must be HFS+. What I've heard, NTFS-3G's performance isn't that great either so if you can, use HFS+ or FAT32.

8. chinhiphone macrumors regular

Thanks. Will windows be able to read hfs+?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not natively but via 3rd party apps it will. HFSExplorer gives you read rights but for total access, you need MacDrive. If you need to use the external with both OSs, think about using FAT32 as both can read and write it natively. Individual files just cannot be more than 4GB.

10. chinhiphone macrumors regular

So fat32 format can't Write files over 4gb but can it read files over 4gb? Is there a program to split the files up... Transfer over to fat32 and join them again?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can't have a bigger than 4GB file in FAT32 volume. You can't even read them because you must first write it to the hard drive. Most archiving apps have options for splitting (e.g. Ez7z) but I doubt you really want to start splitting them if you have a lot big files.

12. dimme macrumors 65816

Or

Or you could...
    1- get a NAS which will work or both platforms with one partishion.
    2_ connect the external drive to the desktop and share it so the mac will read it.