mac-pc file sharing help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sheardude, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sheardude macrumors member

i got an iMac yesterday and I want my mac to do file sharing with my pc. i have tried for a few hours and i cant do it so i was wondering if someone can post up the steps for both the file sharing on the mac and o a windows pc. if someone can help me that would be great.

2. sheardude thread starter macrumors member

this looks good lets see if it works lol

i cant follow this i have leapard an not panther

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

To access your mac from your PC you need to turn on Windows Sharing on your mac, go to
    System Prefs->Sharing->File Sharing->Options->Share files and folders using SMB

TO access your PC from your mac, you probably need to be on the same Windows workgroup. To change the name of the Windows workgroup that your mac is a member of, go to (on your mac):
    System Prefs->Network->Advanced->WINS->Workgroup
    Restart your mac, and now your PC should show up in the Shared section on the sidebar of your finder window.

5. sheardude thread starter macrumors member

where is system prefrences on the pc i have windows xp

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, the system prefs I was referring to is the one on the Mac

7. sheardude thread starter macrumors member

i really do not know what i am doing could someone give me a step by step process of how to do this i really do not get what to do

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Information you will need to know:
    1. The IP Address of both your Mac and PC
    2. The workgroup the PC is in (Right click on My Computer and select Properties, then click the Computer Name tab)

System Configuration
    3. Put your Mac into the correct Windows workgroup:
    3a. On your Mac, navigate to System Prefs->Network->Advanced->WINS->Workgroup
    3b. In the Workgroup box, enter the name you found in step 2.
    3c. Restart your mac

4. Set up your PC to share files
    You need to create and share a folder on your PC that you will then access from your Mac. To do this create a folder (or select and existing one) right click on it from Windows Explorer and select “Properties”. Select the “Sharing” tab and share out the folder. I’d recommend you use a one word name for the share. For example “mac”, not “Apple Mac Share”, it just narrows the risk of complications.

5. Set up your Mac to share files
    On your Mac, navigate to System Prefs->Sharing->File Sharing->Options and check the box that says "Share files and folders using SMB"

Accessing your Mac from your PC
    Click “Start > Run” and enter “\\192.168.1.2\edesignuk”, replacing the IP address with the IP address of your Mac, and “edesignuk” with the short user name of your account in OS X. When asked to authenticate enter your Mac accounts short user name and password. All being well you should now be able to see you entire home folder on your OS X system. You can also map this share like you would any other Windows network share so that it is accessible from a drive letter.

Accessing your PC from your Mac
    To mount a Windows share on your Mac, click on your desktop so that Finder is the active application, from the Finder menu go to “Go > Connect to Server”. In the “Server Address” field enter “smb://192.168.1.3/mac”, replacing the IP address with the IP address of your PC, and “mac” with the name of the Windows share you created earlier.

Note, your PC should also appear in the sidebar of your finder window, under Shared

9. Brendanmac macrumors newbie

Can you please explain how to change a share name on the pc. Having named it, it seems you cannot change the name

10. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

Not to hijack but is this also a way to transfer files to my new mac.

I really do not want to have to rip all of my CD's again and the DVD burnrer on my laptop is broken.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

From a PC?

Easiest way (no matter if it's from PC -> Mac or Mac -> Mac) is using an external HD or network.

More here on PC -> Mac: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304721 (part of Switch 101, which along with Mac 101 should be mandatory reading for everybody with a new Mac.)

12. Brendanmac macrumors newbie

This is the answer to my problem of changing share name:

Change The Share Name Assigned To A Shared Folder (XP)

by Diana Huggins on March 21, 2006 at 12:40 pm · Comments
    Categorized by Tips / Related Information

If you wanted to change the share name of a folder, you would probably open the properties dialog box for the folder and try to type in a new name. However, a share name cannot be changed using this method.

Once you share a folder by selecting the Share this folder option, type in the share name, and click OK, the share name is set. In other words, it cannot be changed this way. In order to change the share name assigned to a shared folder, you must stop sharing the folder first by selecting the Do not share this folder option, and then click OK.

Now you have to complete the steps you followed when you initially shared the folder. This means opening the properties dialog box for the folder and selecting the Share this folder option. At this point you can type in the share name you want assigned to the folder. Unfortunately, you will also have to reset any specific share permissions you had configured.

13. wh!plash macrumors member

To change the name of the PC:
    1. right-click on My Computer, click Properties
    2. Click the second tab, called Computer Name
    3. Click the button that says Change
    4. Type a new name, click OK
    5. Click OK on the System Properties window
    6. You'll be prompted to restart. The name change wont be complete until after a restart.

Note: if the computer is a member of a domain (like in an office setting), the computer will have to be unbound from the domain first. To unbind from a domain, follow the steps above, but in Step 4, click the radio button to switch from a Domain to a Workgroup. You'll be prompted to restart, at which point you can then change the name of the PC using the steps above.

Warning: its not a good idea to try to unbind a computer from a domain if you dont know what you're doing. Your IT dept might be a little upset with you.

14. josephcohen macrumors newbie

hey guys, i have followed all these steps and, and one point it was working. unfortunately every time I hit go>connect to server> and put smb://192.xxx.x.xx/Joseph , and then enter the username and password I get the error, connection failed, you do not have permission to access this server. help?

15. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

If your PC Share was created with 'Everyone' having access (default for a generally built home PC) you don't need creds - just hit the Guest radio button. I do this daily when moving files to my daughter's PC.

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

ok, since this thread is almost 2 years old, i am assuming you are on a Mac running SL? You are trying to connect to a PC running XP or Vista? Are you trying to access info FROM the Mac, or from the PC to your Mac?

17. vmz macrumors newbie

Trying to connect to PC from Mac. ML 10.8.2 & Windows 7. Everything is set according to this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4849060&postcount=9

When entering login\password - window is shaking as I`m entering wrong combination. Same thing when connecting as guest - window just shakes. Win7 is set to allow guest file sharing... Any help?