Mac-PC File Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macnewbie17, Mar 28, 2010.

1. macnewbie17 macrumors newbie

I'm new to macs and also new to using a network so if anyone can help I sure would appreciate it. This may be a really stupid question but here goes...I use a mac to make new files sometimes and also use the pc sometimes. Is there something I need to do to make these files accessible to all computers on the network (3 macs, 2 pcs). I can see the files on all computers, but can't access them unless I am on the computer I opened the new file on. I know about unlocking them, but is there a way to automatically make all files available to all computers without going in and remembering to unlock each one I start? I have hundreds of files and it is a real problem remembering which computer each was started on. Thanks for any help.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What do you mean by "unlocking"? For most documents, no unlocking of any sort needs to be done to share them across computers. Also, there's a guide here on our site about this topic. Give it a read. You might find it useful. Networking Windows with Mac OS X

3. macnewbie17 thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a little lock on the bottom of the page where it says get info...I can click on that and unlock the file (after giving admin password). What I really want is for the files not to be locked in the first place. I want to be able to access all files from all computers and I am sure there is a setting somewhere that allows me to do that. I just don't know what I did to make them be locked in the first polace, so I don't know how to "fix" it.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That particular lock is meant to be left in its locked state, unless you need to change the file's permissions. It is totally different from the "Locked" checkbox in Get Info, which makes the file non-writable. It has absolutely no impact on your ability to share those files with other computers.

5. macnewbie17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I haven't explained this well. If I begin a new folder on a specific mac or pc, I can read and write to that folder from that mac or pc, but when I go to a different computer(Mac or pc) and try to save a file to that folder or try to change that folder in any way I get an access denied message. I want to be able to use those folders, either by adding files or changing what is in them from any computer in the network. The only way ZI have been able to do that is to unlock it from the original computer..it is a pain to do that especially because with hundreds of folders, I don't always remember which computer the folder originated on. I know there has to be an easier way rather than remembering to unlock it when I originate it...
    I really appreciate you trying to help and I hope this explained it better...

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The problem isn't the files, then. It's the folder they are in, that needs to be unlocked (more precisely, have its permissions changed so that it is writable over the network). That unlocking fix isn't a good solution since it does not "stick" - as soon as you switch users, log out, or restart, the locks go back to their locked state. What needs to be done on each computer's shared folder is setting permissions so that it is writable. Of course, what permissions are needed depend on the user/group that is logging in to your shared folder(s). Also, your second attempt at explaining the situation helped a lot. Thanks. :)

7. macnewbie17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm glad I explained it better !!
    Since there are only 3 people using all of the computers and we all need to be able to get into all of the folders, how do I make them all accessible to everyone at any computer? Do I go to preferences on each computer ?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The exact settings needed are different on Mac OS X and on Windows, and furthermore depend on which versions of Mac OS X and Windows you have. The guide I linked you to in an earlier post explains many of the details though.

9. macnewbie17 thread starter macrumors newbie