Mac -> PC file transfer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkRevenant, Apr 5, 2008.

1. DarkRevenant macrumors member

I've come into possession of an old PowerMac G4, and have decided to use it as a dummy computer for LimeWire. My main computer is an old PC. What would be the best way for me to be able to easily transfer the files from the Mac to the PC? They are sitting close to each other, so would a simple USB cable connecting them work? Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What operating system will you be working with? I'd say it'd be easier to use an ethernet cable to network the two machines.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

yeah i have heard that this way is the easiest and really the fastest way you would want to go about doing this

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Create a wired network. That, in the long run, would be most practical. Invest in a network switch - three pieces of CAT5 and bam! :)

5. DarkRevenant thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. My only question is, how do I know what the name of my windows workgroup is?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Erm, it should tell you when you set the Windows machine up for sharing files. I think it's Windows or Microsoft by default. I forget which. :eek:

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Some versions of Windows XP are "MSHOME" by default. All other versions I have come across are "WORKGROUP". I believe you can check this by opening "Control Panel" in the "Start button", set to Classic View in the left hand pane, then opening "System" proceed to look in the "Computer Name" tab. The workgroup name will be by the Workgroup field.