Mac/pc USB hub or switch?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kcaldwell85, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kcaldwell85 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

At work IT refuses to connect our macs to the network. So we have a pc the is connected. It's just a hassle to use a thumb drive to move files back and forth.

Is there some sort of USB hub or switch the would allow me to share a flash drive between the two. Sort of a external drop box?

FYI, the pc only has USB, no FireWire.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In what way does IT refuse to connect your Macs to the network? The rest of your post implied that indeed your Macs are connected. If you have SMB enabled, then you should be able to use the proper credentials to access any volume connected to your Mac or any director (folder) on any connected volume--and vice versa.

3. karenlabernathy, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

karenlabernathy macrumors newbie

Help

I'm sure this isn't the right thread/forum or whatever, but I need some help.
    I've been using my Quick Time program to record our church services. However, I've been doing it with just the built in microphone and would like to switch to a line-in microphone to help get rid of some of the background noise and mostly the noise I make while talking to the fellas that work with me.
    Any suggestions or guidance would be nice. Thanks!

4. kcaldwell85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know their reasoning behind way they won't connect our macs. But they are stand alone and no network connection.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What's to keep you from connecting them yourself?

6. kcaldwell85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried, bit they won't give us network access on our macs. So when ever I design something and send it for approval I have to copy to a flash drive and move it over to the pc. It would just be easier if there were a way to link them together via USB. I'm consintly downloading fonts and images for different projects everyday.

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

If it's anything like my office, IP address allocation is done on MAC address, so if the DHCP server does not know your machine's MAC address, it won't receive an IP address.