Mac Pc!!!????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richdj, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Richdj macrumors member

So ive waited and waited and waited for this dam update on MBP think im gonna cave in and just go buy one, however now im back to that age old debate or pc or mac, i think the current models are over priced for what they are, hence why i was waiting for an update.......
    2 reasons for wanting to change to Mac ... 1) i dont want vista, 2 im a cameraman/editor and need to use FCP so its an obvious choice for me
    I need the new laptop not really..... My house mate whos a PC computer buff, says that i should just buy a decent laptop PC and then buy mac os and just run it on there, since Mac now they are intel based are now simply the same as PC hense why you can run Windows on them.

I can get a laptop with much better specs that the current MBP i want for much less and still pay for the OS, but ive never heard of this being done ... is it possible or is my house mate full of s**t? .... dont want to make a mistake at this stage now really...

thoughts anyone ?
    :confused:

2. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

you can't run OSX on a PC.

I don't really understand the rest of what you're saying.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It is against the EULA, not so easy, not perfect and not good with updates. Pro apps will suffer likely. A Mac is much more worth it.

4. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

see, this is a more specific answer. I should have said you can't run os x on a pc without jumping through a million hoops, living with the risk of total failiure and breaking the law. or i should have just said "YOU cannot run os x on a pc". because i really don't think YOU can.

5. thesdx macrumors 6502a

It's possible, but illegal, really difficult to do, and doesn't even work half the time. Besides, if you get it to install, you might not have Wi-Fi, sound, or graphic acceleration.

6. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

You can definitely build a faster PC for cheaper. But once you get a virus from Windows, you'll be sending money on repairs, and time away from your baby.

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

The short answer is 'yes'.

EDIT: The long answer is that it is possible to run OS X on a PC, as other posts have pointed out. However, you break the EULA and it's a serious pain the butt... and because there's no native OS X drivers for all that non-standard hardware in PC land, you final setup is going to be very very buggy and will under-perform - and could be broken further by future software updates.

SL

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It is possible to run OSX on a PC — for instance the OSx86 Project.

But apart from the illegality of it by breaking the EULA, it is not worth the risk, bother and sheer frustration.

Don't believe everything your room mate tells you. ;)

If you buy a PC laptop you will in all probablity end up with a PC laptop running Vista or XP.

The choice is yours…

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The OP is asking whether to run OSX on non-Apple hardware.

10. thesdx macrumors 6502a

You should just buy a real Mac. Once you do, you'll be so happy you did. :) If you can't afford a MBP, you could go for an upgraded MacBook or find an older MBP on eBay. It'll still run FCP like a champ.

11. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

cool , cheerrs for that guys, plenty of ammunition for my house mate, hes a PC die hard fan , and keeps slagging me for wanting a mac.....and telling me how stupid im being spending that sort of money.. i need the macbook pro for FCP as its the only one with seperat graphics card.
    I can afford it its simply the fact i do agreee slightly with my house mate that i think its a bit pricey for what it is, i was waiting for the update, but been waiting and waiting and just need it now really.....

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The Apple Online Store is down right now, so an update may come very very soon :)

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

See, it's frigtards like this that keep the marketshare down. A Mac is only SLIGHTLY more expensive because of the ability to run a working OS, the R&D from the design, and the quality parts used.

Spec a Dell/HP workstation the same as a Mac Pro. Just try it. You have around two processor options and it winds up being several thousand more.

14. Richdj thread starter macrumors member

lol new word for my vocabularly 'frigtard ! ':D