Mac performance

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SFT, Jul 20, 2008.

1. SFT macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm relatively new in to production (i only know the basic stuff back when i experimented cubase) and most of the producers that I've asked recommended me to start using Logic Pro. I'm afraid of not being able to adapt/learn the software...

Tough, I'm thinkin about buying an iMac (2.66ghz,2gb ram) and i would like to ask you what are the main differences between the iMac and a laptop (the lowest MacBook Pro) in terms of performance when using Logic?

Any other tips/advices would be certainly welcome

(Sorry for my bad english and structuring)

Thanks!

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The entry level MacBook Pro will do you fine, in fact it'll do even some of the most demanding professionals fine.

I've asked my previous generation MacBook Pro to do some seriously demanding stuff (if it means anything, Logic Pro, PD-Extended with webcam input and Logic with 32ch of Rewire at the same time) and it's handled it fine.

Either will do though, the iMacs and MacBook Pros are both exceptionally good performers, and Logic Pro 8 seems to be very resource efficient in comparison to other DAW packages such as Cubase (which is shameful in comparison to Logic :cool:). Get the MacBook Pro if you can afford it, but also get a large (500gb +) external firewire hard drive for backing up projects.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

With Logic, the faster your CPU, the better performance will be. This is usually seen by being able to play more tracks simultaneously.

Either Mac will do you fine, though.

4. SFT thread starter macrumors newbie

my doubt is between a 2,66ghz imac or a 2,4ghz macbookpro

5. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Not much of a difference there. I have the 2.4GHz Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM and it handles everything I throw at it. I don't use Logic, but I use Pro Tools and Reason 4 via Rewire with izotope Ozone running. Pretty power intensive.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Logic Pro is quick and speedy on my 2.2 GHz MBP/2gb RAM. I've done some pretty complex/CPU intensive stuff with it and it's never given me any issues.

7. SFT thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your support guys, your amazing

the idea of working on a imac sounds way better than in a macbook...

i dont how far portability is an important issue. i think most of the times it is an illusion. we often think we're gona travel around the world with it and we find ourselves with the laptop stuck at home...

sorry for being so repetitive but is really making me sweat!