.mac personal domain for email?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iansilv, Aug 9, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

Hi-
    With the new personal domain feature for websites with .mac, is it possible to use it for email as well? As in, did .mac just become an exchange replacement? I have an exchange account, and I would love to just get a .mac account and have my personal email domain name as well.

What I mean is, can I now have myname@personaldomian.com instead of myname@mac.com ?

2. TheChillPill macrumors regular

I've been looking in to this today, because that's exactly what I want to do too. As far as I can tell though, the answer is 'no'. As I understand it, the personal domain aspect of iWeb basically means you can send your iWeb site to any webserver, not just .mac. Putting it on .mac won't allow you to use your own domain.

I may be wrong, but that is what all the stuff I've uncovered today seems to point towards.

I'd love .mac to support domains - I could justify subscribing to it then (and would gladly do so), and I'm amazed Apple haven't offered this as yet considering the relatively small investment they would need to do so.

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I don't think you can.

To combat this (kinda), the scenario I'd like to look into is hosting a subdomain on .mac

www.mydoman.com stays where it is, and something like mac.mydomain.com gets hosted on my .Mac account.

Anyone know if this is possible?

4. TheChillPill macrumors regular

No, that would require the same setup as you would need to host the domain in the first place.

At the moment, the only way of doing it (and wouldn't work for email, therefore making it a fairly pointless exercise) would be to use framed forwarding.

5. TheChillPill macrumors regular

Actually, scratch everything I've said above. According to some fellow posters here in this thread you can indeed use your own domain for both email and web hosting.

That makes it quite a significant benefit, and I'm certainly going to make use of the trial period to check it out.

If what is said in that thread is true, I'm absolutely astonished Apple are not using it as a selling point on the .mac page of their website.

6. Mac In School macrumors 65816

But that's not a problem. I get it hosted free by my company on their dedicated server, and have complete DNS control. So I can set it up from my end. The only question is: Will .Mac accept a sub.mydomain.com account?

7. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

No- it is not possible- the thread linked to above does not say you can do what I want to do- use my own domain for email and stop using exchange.

Come on Apple!!! What the heck!! I have a business I want to buy about 6 iMacs for- and I want to get an iphone- but you wont support exchange natively, and you wont simply duplicate the functionality with .mac- what the heck!

My friend runs his law firm (10+ employees) on a mac, I want to run my business on a mac- duplicate exchange in all of its functionality and you have us plus thousands of other customers- just get it done!!