Mac Plus 1 Meg

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by 4macs, Nov 24, 2008.

1. 4macs macrumors newbie

I hav a Mac Plus I bought on Ebay. It will boot off the 40 mg LaCie and works well.
    The problem is I also have a CMS 20 meg HD that does not show on the desk top even though it is running.
    Tha Mac will not read any floopys I use in it.

I'm new to this forum can any one help.
    4macs

2. MacTech68, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

If I recall correctly, the genuine CMS drives required specific driver. The hard drive itself may even be faulty or have been completely erased. I sure I had the CMS formatter somewhere.

You might also want to check that the CMS and Lacie drives are using different SCSI addresses (numbered 1-7) and that a terminator is applied ONLY to the last physical device on the SCSI chain.

Don't plug and unplug the drives when either they or the Mac Plus is running. This may do serious damage to the Mac Plus' SCSI interface or the drives themselves.

As for the floppy drive, these were only 800K floppy drives so a disk formatted as 1.44MB won't be recognized.

You can format 1.44MB (or "HD" floppies) in newer machines by covering the HD detect hole on the floppy. HD floppies have two holes. One for write-protect which has a sliding lock on the bottom side and the HD detect hole which is just a square hole (they look the same from the top side).

If you're running system 6.0.7 or 7.x.x, try getting hold of a control panel called SCSI Probe. It will tell you what SCSI devices the mac can see on the SCSI chain and later versions have a "Mount" button.

You can get SCSIProbe 4.3 here.

:)

3. 4macs thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac Plus

the floppy drive will nol reconize any disks. TlaCie works well and has several programs.
    the Mac is just keep sake as this was wy firt computer. It woud be fun to have it workinh.
    4macs

4. MacTech68, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

The 800K drive's mechanism lubrication may have hardened and this may prevent the drive from completely loading the disk.

Do floppies automatically load and eject properly? If they do, you might want to try a 3.5" floppy drive head cleaning disk.