Mac Plus: boot OS and s/w requests

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Interceptor2, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Interceptor2 macrumors newbie

I have recently aquired a Macintosh Plus, it's in need of all sorts of repairs which I wonder if you guys can help with. I'm new to these old Macs so go easy! The good news is I'm good at electronics and monitors so if you need your PSU/ Monitor sorting, call me, anyway to my Mac.

1. I have no floppies for the Mac, I somehow need to figure out how to get say OS 6.08 into the machine. I am not 100% sure if the 800k drive works. I have assumed the Mac+ boots from floppy.

2. Can I boot from CDrom? Could I compile a CDrom on my XP-PC that I can use in an Apple CD-300i Plus cdrom drive on scsi? From what I've seen a special CDrom driver needs to be obtained which is one step after booting from floppy.

3. My ultimate objective is to find Alchemy and Infinity software as I want to connect the Mac+ to an old piece of musical kit I have (a sampler) and this is the only setup that works, so I'm told. Anyone know where I might find a copy of Alchemy?

Thanks in advance.

2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

1) the only way to see if the floppy drive works is to try and boot a disk, witch you will need another mac with a floppy drive to write, as i see you are England if you are willing to pay a small fee i could write you some system 6 floppy's

2) you can boot from a cd but it has to be in mac hfs and written with the rite version of apples cdrom driver

3) i will have a look and see if i have those programs but i don't think i have it, maybe you can find them on the internet