Mac Plus Mouse on OS X over USB - Win a free mouse!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleTools, Oct 7, 2010.

1. AppleTools macrumors member

AppleTools

Hello everyone...

I have a few Mac Plus mice. Brand new, never used... They are so cool it's a shame to abandon them in my storage room...

So I was wondering if there's a way to use an old DB-9 serial mouse on a new Intel Mac over USB. I thought it would be awesome to have that vintage feel under my hand not to mention how impressed your Mac friends would be when you put away your Magic Mouse in favor of the oldie Plus...

Any suggestions and ideas would be highly appreciated!!!

Only one condition (rule)...

The most obvious idea would be to use a USB to serial adapter and find the appropriate software BUT if someone out there is thinking of modifying the mouse, the internal mechanism MUST NOT BE REMOVED. This means that I won't extract the guts of my mouse to replace them with a generic "mini" mouse inside. That will take away all the fun of using a vintage mouse. I'd love to keep the mouse untouched if possible but any hardware modification is welcome too as long as it doesn't destroy the original functionality of the mouse.

One more thing...

The person that post the solution should test it first so we can be sure it works.

If anyone doesn't have the necessary hardware can still post the idea and some of us can try it out if we have the adapters/parts laying around.

Said this, I hope some clever Mac fan out there give us an answer to this idea I just had...

Thank you,
    Alec

This is a stock photograph of the mice I'm talking about just in case you are unsure which one it is. The one on the left is the 512K mouse (beige) and the on on the right is the Plus (platinum)

[​IMG]

2. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Isn't an adapter the only non-destructive way to do it?:confused:

3. AppleTools thread starter macrumors member

AppleTools

An adapter would be the best way to go since the mouse would be untouched but perhaps someone might think of replacing the DB-9 cable with a USB or ADB cable. That won't be so destructive I guess... although it would require to modify the internal electronics which I'm sure would be a difficult task if not impossible but let's keep the door open to this kind of suggestions...

The idea is that the original vintage look and feel of the mouse remains the same... The way the signal is sent to the computer doesn't really matter.

4. johnh10000 macrumors newbie

I got given an old mac plus recently, and at first the person who gave it to me, could not find the mouse. Found now!

But because of its cheese hunt, I had to do this project in reverse, IE make PC mouse work on a MAC.

In my research I found the Mac processes the rollers in a mouse its self, no chip needed! So an adoptor is the only way, otherwise nothing ecsept maybe an Amiga or Atari could understand its signels!

On another point, checking on ebay for such a rodent, I found they go, (new) from £25 !!! Less hardware, more expensive!

I that helps!