mac plus power/sweep board

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by max¥¥, Apr 23, 2010.

1. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

i have a mac plus with screen problems, as i understand the problem is a cracked solder joint, but i was wondering if the solder joint is on the power/sweep or on the logic board

2. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Definitely the power/analog board, but it's likely the problem isn't so simple as that. That board was under-engineered in several ways, I replaced hundreds of them back in the day.

3. MacTech68, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Yup, it sure was, I remember the mud-slinging! :eek:

But it won't hurt to try running a soldering iron over the LOPT, Yoke connector and Power/sweep to motherboard connector. the last one has a trick where the second last pin on one end is skipped - I saw a few where the last pin (after the skipped one) was missed. ;)
    ________
    buy extreme q

4. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i took it to a tv repair shop and the guy replaced a voltage regulator witch sorted the problem for a month or so, then when it stopped working i assumed it was a cracked solder joint

5. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

can i get to the power/sweep board to solder the joints without removing it (i don't like the idea of scraping a screwdriver under the anode cap to discharge it)

6. MacTech68, May 10, 2010

MacTech68

Yes, just make sure it's been switched off for 20 minutes and unplugged from the mains. It's not "recommended" but for re-soldering the video connectors, you can get away with it.
    ________
    Rehab Forum

7. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

it's been switched off for a year, so it should be fine, and i shall try soldering it after school:)

8. MacTech68, May 11, 2010

MacTech68

I should mention that there is a solder joint you may miss.

The motherboard/logic board connector has a pin that is skipped just before the last pin on one end. Make sure you don't miss the one after the skipped one. It's the multi-coloured cable, single row, in-line that is soldered horizontally and goes to the motherboard.

:)
    ________
    Suzuki G engine

9. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok i will have to wait till the weekend as i can't find the long screwdriver so i need to get a new one