Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crait

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Narnia
Hey! I've got a Mac Plus without a keyboard or a mouse in a garage sale.
s.jpg

> http://z8.invisionfree.com/Systems_and_Sketches/index.php?showtopic=659 < Want more pics?
I gave it a paint job. :D

The problem is, though, that I can't do anything.
Whenever it boots it just shows a floppy disc icon with a question mark on it. Then the question mark goes away and then an X appears on the floppy.
Then does it again.
What do I need to do to get this thing working?
I was thinking I need a keyboard/mouse and/or a floppy disc.
I'm going to the pawn shop next weekend, so if you tell me by then, I should be able to pick the stuff up.

(Oh, and if it requires hardware modding, I'd be able to do that too because 1 41n"7 a n00b)

crait

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Narnia
I looked into it and found that I need some files.
Can anyone get me the files I need to run 7.1 ?
And I found a way to use a 1.4 MB Floppy inside the Mac Plus temporarily.

crait

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Narnia
Thanks trainguy! ^^
I got to a download page with a lot of really cool stuff from that website including system 6!
Now I just need to either get a 800K floppy or just any floppy. (Do you know how hard it is to find one now-a-days?!)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Thanks trainguy! ^^
I got to a download page with a lot of really cool stuff from that website including system 6!
Now I just need to either get a 800K floppy or just any floppy. (Do you know how hard it is to find one now-a-days?!)

I have a bunch for my mac plus. And some at work. I would think they wouldn't be to hard to find.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Thanks trainguy! ^^

This thread, along with any having to do with classic systems are usually better suited (and will likely get better attention) in the "Apple Collectors" forum just for future reference.

You can not us HD (High Density) disks in these 800K systems. In my experience, even when formatted one sided, it still is not usable by the Mac. You will need to get ahold of some 800k disks. This system MAY also be limited to 400K disks, as I have run into older model Macintosh Plus systems without the newer 800K drives. In that case you will need to format the 800K disk single sided.

BTW the moderator on that forum sounds like a real Gem. ;)

HTH

image.php

crait

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Narnia
Thanks for the pointer, 820quadra.
@ sunfast: Yes, haha. It is.
I want to cut out a window on one side and have a battle scene with Transformer figures or something like that with LED's strung inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.