Mac plus questions

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by max¥¥, Dec 28, 2011.

1. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

I just have a couple of questions about my mac plus (haveing opened it today to decide what needs to be done to restore it)

do the plus's have the same problem with leaking caps on the logic board that SE's have? Is it worth replacing the caps even if they aren't leaking?
    also has anyone encountered a problem where the floppy drive just clicks continuously, or has any idear how to fix it?
    Also i noticed the flyback is a 157-0042-C, i take it this means it has been repaired / replaced (as that flyback is for a SE i believe), CR5 also appears to have been replaced

Thanks
    Max

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Nope, no problems like the SE. Whilst any Electrolytic cap can leak, it's those pesky surface mount ones that destroy later machines on a regular basis.

Several possibilities. Do you have a recording of the sound?

It probably has, but there were many revisions to the rebuilt analog boards. If the 3.9uF cap on the top edge is a white axial poly cap (like this) then the revision is a fairly late one.

3. max¥¥ thread starter macrumors 6502a

So i take it there's no point in recapping the logicboard then

Not right now, but i can take one tommrow, also to elaborate on what i said about it, it starts clicking immediately after the power is applied, but it was not always this way, from when my dad brought it ('88-89) untill around '09 it was fine for the first disk inserted, but if it was ejected and another was put in you would get the same symptoms

i highly suspect it has, i asked my dad about it and he said that he had the power / sweep board modified to provide a more stable output (anyone ever herd of stability problems with the output of the power / sweep board in a plus?) so far i have found that the flyback and several of the high power diodes have been replaced, the cap is not a white one as in that pic

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Not really. IIRC there's 3 axial electrolytics. It certainly wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.

Hmmm. Still need to hear the sound to be sure.

"Stability" may refer to it's reliability over time. In that case, yes. One rectifier on the output of the power supply was swapped from an axial diode to a TO-220 MBR1035 IIRC. You'll see it mounted to the heatsink with a nut & bolt.