Mac Poll: Firefox or Safari 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chariotofFIRE, Jun 29, 2007.

?

Firefox or Safari 3

1. Firefox

47.1%
  2. Safari 3

52.9%
  1. chariotofFIRE macrumors member

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

3. DeathAxe macrumors newbie

DeathAxe

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Hasn't this been done enough times by now?

Camino at the moment but Firefox predominantly for the Google Browser Sync extension. Brilliant little thing.

5. Jessy macrumors regular

I don't need anything too fancy, and the other ones all make me think I'm using Windows. Safari it is.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I could name a half dozen sites that work properly in Firefox and don't work properly in Safari 3, but aside from that I prefer using Safari.

7. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

depends.
    mac: firefox (safari when web designing)
    pc: safari

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, since there's no actual question I'm assuming that we're supposed to vote for the ugliest.

10. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Do you know that your computer will work ok without needing to use THE CAPS LOCK KEY!?

I'm surprised we missed the "OMG F1R3F0X IS T3H BR0WSER 0F D00M!!!!one1!!eleven!!!" part

11. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

I'll be using Safari. For the most part, website compatibility seems to be greatly improved, and I like its new features a lot. It's lean, fast, and has a beautiful UI in addition to being integrated into OS X.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'm using Safari 3 right now, I never felt the urge to go back to Firefox after installing it.

13. thatgrant macrumors newbie

Firefox versus Safari 3 Beta

anyone else had this experience. i know this is an anticlimatic topic. but, i had switched from safari to firefox a while back. then, yesterday, doing my own "one mississippi" scientific testing, i noticed that safari would come in consistently at about one second faster than firefox. i know there are many who believe firefox to be definitely faster. apple is advertising safari as "the fastest browser on any platform" now. anyway, seems that it may be valid.

fyi, i use an imac g5 1.6 w/ 1 gb ram. i will test the macbook and see if it results the same.

one note. in terms of standards, firefox and others may still be better. i noticed on a google image search, that firefox delivered an image properly in it's own context, where safari glitched it a little and couldn't show it properly without going to an additional url.

14. defeated macrumors regular

15. defeated macrumors regular

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I use Safari, tried Firefox on a number of times but just don't get along with it. Safari has pretty much everything I need when browsing the net. People always go on about Firefox having extensions while i find them useful when using windows but in OS X Safari rules over firefox.

17. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Go between Mac and PC way too much everyday. The only the constants for me are iTunes, and Firefox. God I love that guy. :)

EDIT:Is there an FTP manager in Safari? That might make me use it more on Mac.

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

19. Fahrwahr macrumors member

Only two choices here? I mean, come on, there's Camino, SeaMonkey, Netscape 9 (now in beta), Opera, iCab, OmniWeb, Shiira, He-man… okay, so I made the last one up, but still, the browser world doesn't just revolve around Safari and Firefox.

After updating Safari to the 3.0 beta, again I found myself annoyed that the search engine for the search box cannot be changed without installing an add-on. I downloaded Camino 1.5 and was pleasantly surprised that although there was not a GUI for search engine management (as there is in Firefox, IIRC), there is a tutorial on adding your own that is much more helpful. For example, I was able to add a search on YouTube that sorts by date uploaded rather than whatever the default is.

I'm not much on Firefox because it has yet to become a "real" Mac browser -- kind of like Pinnochio. SeaMonkey is making great strides as it is moving towards version 2.0 -- the underlying code has been moved to use more of the same code that Firefox uses, so it has gotten some speed boosts. At the end of the day, the browser that I use the most is Camino -- it's got the right amount of polish and speed, and the developers care more about the user experience than some high-minded technological principles (although trying to make web site developers sniff for feature support rather than specific browsers is noble, it's not fair to punish Camino users because web site developers lock out browsers other than IE and Firefox when the code for Camino shares so much in common with Firefox).

20. defeated macrumors regular

How come ? firefox's extensions are mostly platform indepedent. if it blocks ads on windows, it does the same on osx?

21. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

22. paulbaker macrumors regular

.02/ I have been using Safari 3 since it was available and have had 0 issues. I am not a web builder, or even an "I got to have every damn feature imaginable" guy, but I like it a lot. Does what I need.

There are still some sites that the code is just not Mac compatible, and they should be shunned....