Mac poor to Mac rich in one day ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac-slap-happy, Jul 25, 2007.

1. mac-slap-happy macrumors member

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking here since July 10th when I placed an order for my new Macbook Pro. It took it a while to make it's way from China, but it finally arrived today. And I think I got a perfect one!

I got the SR 2.4 w/ 160GB 7200RPM HDD. I upped the RAM to 2GB, so hopefully I'm OK in that area for a while. This thing is NICE!!! :)

I used Mac OS several years ago, back when System 8 or 9 was out and about. I've got limited experience w/ OsX, but with the BSD backend I already feel at home in the terminal (Linux guy from way back). I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship. :)

On a side note, a coworker offered me a 1.25Ghz G4 Mac today (Platinium color) for a price that I couldn't pass up. So now I also have a sharp looking G4 box that I'll probably set up for my wife. Its about time she dumped the old 500Mhz PC she's been using for years, and I'm ready for the whole family to move away from Windows operating systems.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone, and thanks for the informative forums here. I've learned a lot just from reading during my wait for the Macbook -- now it's time to put some of that to use.

Off to play! :)

2. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Welcome aboard! Congrats on the new machines! :D

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Nice, although I don't understand the upped to 2 Gb thing (they ship with 2). Good job with the G4, hope all goes well.

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

ongrats I'm sure you're going to love it. You know where to come if you ever need help or have any questions. Also, I too am a little confused aboutthe 2gb ram thing also.

5. mainomega macrumors 6502

6. mac-slap-happy thread starter macrumors member

Yea, got a little confused on the RAM -- it happens. ;)

It was the HDD that I "upped". I opted for the 7200 RPM model over the 5400. Now that the honeymoon period is over, and I've actually used this thing for real work the last few weeks, I'm ready to give judgement ......

HOW IN THE WORLD DID WINDOWS GET SO POPULAR!!??!

I've never been a Microsoft fanboy, but have been pretty much forced to use the OS for various reasons throughout the years. I've now found Mac equivalents for every piece of software from Windows that I relied on. The Mac is faster, smoother, and just overall more refined than Windows, and it has yet to crash on me. I do have to admit I miss Sony Vegas. The work flow is so fast in Vegas, and just feels clunky in any other program. Oh well -- I suppose it's all in what you get used to. Vegas is the only reason I'm running Boot Camp and if they ported it over to the Mac I'd blow that 20GB NTFS partition away as fast as I could.

The G4 has worked out great as well, and my wife hasn't turned on her old PC since I set up the G4. She is a graphic artist at a large print shop, so of course she slid right into OsX without missing a beat. She did mention how poor Yahoo Messenger is compared to the Windows version, but it's not enough to pull her away. Why oh why can't Adium do video? :confused:

Thanks again for the forum -- I still read here everyday. It's my first obsession since my last obsession (which was the Nintendo Wii), and I don't think I've touched the Wii since the MBP arrived!