Mac Portable M5120 (1989) and Sound Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WardC, Oct 20, 2008.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I own two Mac Portables, I have a fully working backlit M5126 that is 100% working great, and a M5120 that I have fixed up but I am finding to have audio issues.

I put a new speaker in the unit to see if this would fix, it did not. I was told the old M5120 (non-backlit) portables sometimes suffered this issue due to a logic board defect. Basically I have no audio coming out of the oboard speaker, but it's detecting it's there and putting a faint beep that I can hear when the level is at 7 in the control panel.

This is basically just me trying to work on an old computer, I collect these, but any info about internal audio on the Mac Portable would be great, and any workaround/fix. Possibility that System 6.0.4 is the culprit or a misconfigured jumper switch maybe, I don't know. Please enlighten

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seriously, I'd say at least 50% people here were even born back then, and the other 24% probably don't know.

3. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

LOL -- The Portable is a fun machine. It's a real Mac, the first battery run Mac that you can "tote" with you, it's sort of a beige/platinum colored box with a screen, one unit is backlit and one is not. They are fun to use.

I just want the sound to work on my M5120 -- it actually can play 16-bit audio.

But yeah, I was born in 1982. My first Mac was a Mac LC II and I was 10, been Mac ever since, owned over 100 Macs, probably over 200.

So, if you were born in 1989 it would make you 19 this year, right?

Portable:

[​IMG]

4. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I have this laptop from way back that I kept. My first Apple laptop!
    [​IMG]
    The mouse doesn't work horizontally anymore and obviously the battery is dead but it still works!

5. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

gently resurrecting this thread.

I'm still having audio issues on my M5120. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

6. digitalrampage macrumors regular

Mac portable no sound

PM me and I will give you the details of the sound repair. I don't like posting this stuff in the wild. :)

7. justin-mc macrumors newbie

Same problem - still looking for info

I have a couple of Macintosh portables with the exact same sound problem. It would be helpful to know where to start looking to fix it and which component(s) could be the cause. The sound out ports work fine, just the speaker is very very low volume.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Help - resurrection

I just received a Mac portable and would love any help on non boot issues, take aparts for cleaning. It looks cool and I'm sure it needs help. Any known issues that I can fix out of the gate would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

10. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Totally resurrected !!!

So I pulled the motherboard, had it recapped. Purchased new cyclone original battery replacements to recell battery. Now this bad boy is ready to rock. Back from the dead and now good to go. 6.0.8 non backlit and ready to play. It's heavy but fun to play with and lasts forever it seems on a single charge.