Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msavaski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I am starting a small retail business (gift shop) and looking for some good POS software to run on my iMac.
I know that there are a few out there, but having trouble finding credible reviews for them (Checkout, MacPOS, POSIM Evo, Lightspeed, PayGo, etc.).
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to shell out a bunch of money for the software not to work correctly or has terrible customer service!
Please help!!!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am starting a small retail business (gift shop) and looking for some good POS software to run on my iMac.
I know that there are a few out there, but having trouble finding credible reviews for them (Checkout, MacPOS, POSIM Evo, Lightspeed, PayGo, etc.).
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to shell out a bunch of money for the software not to work correctly or has terrible customer service!
Please help!!!
I don't have personal experience with any of them, but I had a lengthy conversation with a retailer who I noticed was using Checkout. They had done a lot of research and were very pleased with Checkout's ease of use and flexibility. From our discussion, I gathered that which solution is best is somewhat determined by the particular type of business you run. For example, some are more inventory-intensive and require complex inventory item descriptions, categories, etc. Other businesses have simpler needs.

I'd recommend you find people with your type of business who use Mac-compatible POS systems and find out their experience. Even though they may use only one system, chances are they researched several others, as well.

msavaski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
I don't have personal experience with any of them, but I had a lengthy conversation with a retailer who I noticed was using Checkout. They had done a lot of research and were very pleased with Checkout's ease of use and flexibility. From our discussion, I gathered that which solution is best is somewhat determined by the particular type of business you run. For example, some are more inventory-intensive and require complex inventory item descriptions, categories, etc. Other businesses have simpler needs.

I'd recommend you find people with your type of business who use Mac-compatible POS systems and find out their experience. Even though they may use only one system, chances are they researched several others, as well.

Thank you for your input! I have been researching, but I guess PC POS is still somewhat the norm. I just cannot bring myself to purchase another PC, I would rather my Mac!:apple:

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
Please help!!!

Have you considered looking into the ios POS options? IPads have gotten so cheap, they are hard to beat. Plus then your actual computer isn't tied into your POS. Their are several different options in the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.