Mac potential virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flimzy, Sep 10, 2014.

1. flimzy macrumors regular

My friend was showing me an asian site to download movies. I didn't want to see it but to be nice i let him go on it and type it in. First he went on (www.yyets.com, then he went on www.yayaxz.com). The second site, "www.yayazx.com" was the site that concerned me. About 3 times while he was on the site a safari logo popped up and flew down towards the screen (the logo that indicates your downloading something) I immediately got worried and said did this site just download something to my computer? I checked my downloads and it didn't appear anything was there? I have no idea what that was and if that meant something was installed or downloaded? how can i check if my mac was infected?

edit: don't go on the sites i just put them there to tell you guys

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

OSX has inbuilt anti-malware lists, and if the application downloads itself and it's on that list it should be automatically deleted. Those particular bugs are trojans, and work by asking for the user's admin password.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have nothing to worry about. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
    Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

4. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

So the graphic of the safari logo going to download didn't mean anything

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, if nothing was in your Downloads folder. Just to let you know, the only known malware that could download and launch was the result of having Java enabled in the web browser, along with "Open 'safe' files after downloading" being selected. If you're running Mavericks and haven't installed Java (it isn't installed by default), that functionality doesn't exist on your Mac.

6. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!