Mac Powerpoint

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnwhite19, Sep 10, 2010.

1. johnwhite19 macrumors newbie

I gave a presentation the other day which I prepared on Mac Powerpoint. The presentation was delivered at a client's office on a Windows based laptop. I could not get the presentation to open. Is this something I should expect every time I try to open a Mac for Powerpoint presentation on a non-Mac laptop?

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

What version of Office are you using on each machine? Starting with Office 2007 for Windows and Office 2008 for Mac, the default file formats use the new OpenOffice XML formats (docx/pptx/xlsx). These new formats are not readable by previous versions of Office.

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Yep, I bet that was the problem. I cross platform PowerPoint files all the time. Just make sure that you Save As in the old format (.PPT) if you're taking it anywhere that may not have Office 2007/2008.

4. steveoc macrumors regular

You got sound advice about saving to an earlier version of PPT.

Going into an unfamiliar computer environment, I try to make sure that I have alternative options. I would also save a version as a PDF file in case the PPT doesn't work out. If the presentation is very important, I'd consider other formats as well.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have a lot of format options available in saving a PowerPoint presentation:
    ScreenCap 3.PNG

6. johnwhite19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response everyone. Yes I am sure that was the problem. Now I know.