MAC Previewer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveiott06, Jul 27, 2010.

1. steveiott06 macrumors newbie

Guys-

Please excuse my ignorance, as I am not very fluent with Mac's at all. I recently got a new job and they have about 10 MAC laptops and desktops that need support. I have been a PC guy my whole life and this is all totally new to me. I look forward to learning them, but hope you can help when needed. Anyway, here is my problem. One of the Macbook gets an error whenever it opens up a PDF document in Previewer, and then tries to print. Here is the message.

"Preview quit unexpectedly while using Generic plug-in 50c-2"

I have sent the problem to Apple. Anyone out there have any suggestions? :(

Adobe Reader 9 is installed on the laptop as well.

Thanks for your help.:)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac OS X version's are installed on those laptop's, especially on the one with the problem's?

Can Adobe Reader open the problematic PDF?

What do you mean, Preview (not Previewer) tries to print? Can you make a screenshot?

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, sorry Preview. I can try to get a screen shot. Let me clarify that the PDF opens just fine in Preview and Adobe, its just when you open in Preview and go to Print it, it closes out Preview and gives that error message!

4. spacedesign911 macrumors regular

This is a wild shot but Id say your printer driver is the culprit, maybe try a generic driver?

5. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Here is a screen shot of whats going on...Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

[​IMG]

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Have you tried different drivers yet? If so, which ones?

7. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not yet. I was just looking and the version of OS on his macbook is
    Mac OS X 10.6.3 and the only drivers I can find for this printer are Mac OS 10.6

Is this is the same? I was under the impression that OS and OS X were totally different systems?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X 10.6.4 is the same as Mac OS 10.6, some vendors just forget the X, and the .4 is a point release.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

What kind of printer is it? Have you tried to find a driver from the printer mfgr's site?

10. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that I may have found the problem. I downloaded a new printer driver and when I unzipped it the folder was labeled "GENERIC_50C-2_106.pkg" so I think that might have something to do directly with the error message. I will try to reinstall the driver, would anyone like to give advice on how to do that? lol thanks!:D

11. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

It looks like you're trying to use a weird printer driver that has a problem. Go to System Preferences > Print & Fax and remove the offending printer, then try to re-add it but select the latest driver you can find on the manufacturer's website.

12. moel macrumors 6502

Might I suggest you go and invest in some Mac training pretty pronto. These machines are rediculously easy to work with, and you may well find that if you can't answer basic questions your bosses will fire you.

13. steveiott06 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's called learning. We are a mixture of Windows/Linux/Mac environment. Mostly Microsoft Windows. We only support a few Mac's and this is my 3rd day on the job. I am not worried about being fired. That's why I signed up for the forum, for support. :rolleyes:

14. bigjobby macrumors 65816

get your work to get you a mac and install linux and windoze as VMs. That should help your learning on the job. Good luck.

15. moel macrumors 6502

didn't mean to sound quite so authoritarian.

I had simply assumed that when you were interviewed and then asked if you have any experience of Macs, you'd blindly said yes.

Either way, it might well be worth investing in a few genius sessions, as there are inevitably going to be times when something needs sorting..and you won't have to consult the forum.