Mac Price Drops Imminent!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pianodude123, Jun 17, 2007.

1. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Hi, I was just about to check out for buying my 2.2GHz Macbook Pro, when I found this:

I found it here:

On the education store, in the checking out with the free printer option.

Maybe we should make this a page 2 rumor?

Attached Files:

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

It would be very nice if the normal mac prices were like that. :)
    Anyway, it could be a possibility but the price drop is scheduled to be on July 22nd.

3. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

To be clear, the price drop the poster is talking about here is the Intel price drop, not an Apple price drop.

IMO, and many others, Apple is not going to drop prices on their hardware at this point. They're a lot more likely to bump up specs instead.

4. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

The link I had was about an Intel Price drop not an Apple price drop.
    You must of not checked out the link.

5. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

whats your basis for this? those prices are just the usual education prices right? Maybe i missed something.

Brad

edit: i guess the MBP and and MB are different prices, i think the others are the same as usual.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

that rebate form is for your $100 off printer and the iPod. Those are the standard educational discounts.

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

yeah, note the orange printer (promotion color) next to "download rebate form" -- those are the standard EDU prices for those macs.

8. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

It's probably some sort of typo. When you click on the $1599 for the MBP, you get directed to the normal MBP page with $1799 for the low-end model.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, the usual MacBook education discount is like $50-$100. It's $150 lower in that pic.

The normal MacBook Pro education discount is $200. This shows $400 lower.

The normal iMac price drop is $100, this shows $200 lower.

It looks like a $100 price drop in everything, actually. Except the Mac Pro.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Or they put up the discounted image too early.
    Or it's the pic from the ADC store.

You think they typo'd EVERYTHING?

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

Student Store

$579 Mac Mini
    $899 iMac
    $999 MacBook
    $1799 MacBook Pro
    $2299 Mac Pro

ADC Store

$539 Mac Mini
    $899 iMac
    $989 MacBook
    $1599 MacBook Pro
    $1999 Mac Pro

It's different from the current edu prices on only 2 out of the 5 products. I'm still leaning towards typos, but we'll have to wait and see. I'm in the market for a MBP myself, so the $1599 would be amazing. Perhaps they are releasing the much-hoped-for 13" MBP in the near future to fill the middle???

13. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Anything with "price reduction" is good news They are known for posting certain bits early by mistake though. Maybe the coming immediate future has something in store for us...

14. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was like **** THATS CHEAP! then i realised its in ur dollars.... not mine. dang!!!

need price drops tho aye. by at least 300-400 :p

15. jamesybsu macrumors regular

dang, i was just about to order my MBP with my ADC discount (like today!), if this rumor is true, then the edu discount would be like 1399, but I am not sure if the ADC would even be much of a difference, as you only see the major price drop in the more expensive computers.

16. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

damn, just an EDU thing...

DoFot9, that is awesome. 17 years of macs for 17 years of life. I grew up with IIe/gs... but then my dad went PC.. took us all with him. *fist shakage*

17. albertobrioso macrumors newbie

i have looking for prices around, and comparing ebay, ecrater , and macbook official store, the best prices are in a scale of 1 to 3 .

1- ecrater.com
    2- ebay.com
    3- apple.com

macbook pro 17 "

the price go down and up. but it still may vary.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha im now 18 :) so 18 years of mac!! thats a pretty long time. dad had a mac II aswell... 20mb harddrive :) ive grown up on games such as lemmings, simcity2000, simant, spectre and other amazing games... haha reader rabbit 2. that brings back memories.

but boy since those days the prices have dropped!!! dads original computer cost so much... like $10k for an apple mac II and a dot matrix apple printer, that thing was loud!
    (notice my half-hearted attempt to relate it to the topic haha)

19. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

1. NEVER use ecrater.com. there is no listed address nor phone number, and the email address leaves a lot to speculation.
    2. gotta watch out for scams, but if you get lucky you can find a great deal and keep it.
    3. check out the refurbs. had a apple certified refurbished black macbook core duo 2.0GHz for $1049.00 the other day.

i recommend froogle.com search, filtering by a rating of 3 stars and up. check user reviews, too. those help a lot.

20. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

Standard EDU prices for the MacBook 2.0ghz is $999. Standard EDU price for the MacBook Pro (128MB GPU) is $1799.

Josh

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As nice as price drops would be, I doubt it will happen... :eek:

22. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

While a price drop would be nice, I seriously doubt it. Apple's not a non-profit organization so I don't think they'd cut their margins that significantly.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

please remind me how much profit makes on pretty much all of their products (apart from the :apple:tv).........

im sure a 5%-10% cut couldnt go astray

24. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

My apologies but I was referring to a significant price drop for the Macbook Pro. Since the MBP's were updated in June, it's too soon for the any price reductions for the current Intel processor, and the cost of the LED backlit displays is of anyone's guess. If anything, it's rumored that the cost of LCD displays were to be going up due to higher demand. While I don't see why the Macbook couldn't see a $50 price reduction, I cannot see a $200 price reduction for the MBP. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see some price reductions but I can only imagine the uproar of new MBP owners that bought in June, myself included, that the MBP's starting price had been lowered to $1799 retail and $1599 edu respectively. Historically speaking, Steve Jobs has been particular in enjoying a 20% profit margin on hardware purchases.

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh ok fair enuf, true that the mbp is just a bit too new to haev some sort of price drop.. at least when a new product is released by apple they keep the same sorta price on the new products compared to the old.. kinda because of the hugh margins hahahaha.