Mac Pro ('08) graphics card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rastersize, Nov 18, 2008.

1. rastersize macrumors member

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a Mac Pro (early 08) and I have a 8800GT (PC) which has the right amount of ROM memory to be flash for the Mac. My questions are:
    • The ATi 2600 XT which the Pro comes with by default, can I put it in an ordinary PC or do I have to flash it before (and in that case is it even possible to flash it?).
    • I'm planning on using more than two monitors in the future and I don't think I'll need another 8800GT but rather a low-end card. So what are my options? I guess that my PC nvidia 7300LE won't work or will it (need flashing?)? I don't want to use the default ATi card as I will use Boot Camp for Windows and Windows just hate it if you use graphic cards from different vendors.

Is it possible to get a Mac 7300LE anywhere (they still work in the '08 model right?)? Preferably in Sweden or somewhere in Europe.

Many thanks in advance
    rastersize

2. tonyl macrumors 6502

1. Mac ATI 2600xt works in PC, you don't need to flash it.

2. probably won't work.

3. rastersize thread starter macrumors member

1. Great!
    2. Ok :/. But that was what I expected. Well, I'll deal with it when the time comes for the third monitor.

Thanks!

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Just keep the ATI that came with it for the 3rd and 4th Monitors...

EDIT - Unless you can't mix and match NVidia and ATI. And I'm pretty sure you can't. I'm not a graphics expert though, I only play one on TV.

5. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You can under OS X easily, I had a 7300 GT and HD2600 XT together for a long time. Windows was iffier for me at first, but eventually that worked too.