mac pro 08 raid question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thedommer, Feb 24, 2008.

1. thedommer macrumors regular

Ive heard conflicing statments that the raid is software/hardware. anyone know for sure what it is (Im not talking about that card you can buy).

If it is software raid does this take a toll on the processors? is it serious or does it not matter at all.

IF it does matter. should I buy a exteran raid card? is there a mac compatible one. I just need basic raid0.

I just bought 2 samsung spinpoint F1 750s in anticipation of my new mac. But just want to make sure that raid is a wise decision.

for those who are thinking about replying about the dangers of raid. I know. I have time machine. if the raid goes down then so be it. such is life. I will have backups. thats not the question I am asking :cool:

2. GotPro macrumors 6502

It does take a toll on the CPU and System in Software RAID 0.

But, it works :)

I'd suggest just putting them in, Striping them RAID 0, and seeing if you are happy with the results. If you feel the Mac Pro isn't fast enough... then go out and look for a HARDWARE Raid Card.
    :apple:

3. GotPro macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how you would benchmark what effect Software Raid 0 has on the system, btw...

Most things that are going to churn tons of CPU time are going to (I think but I could be wrong) churn lots of HDD time. I'm betting that the effects would cancel each other out.

For instance... Handbrake a DVD ripped to the HDD. While the CPU speed would be slower, it would be reading/writing the data from the drive faster... so... I bet the gains in HDD speed would NEGATE the loss of the CPU speed.

But that's just a theory.

Can't test it on games, really... as most games are going to be GPU bound, NOT CPU BOUND... so a 5,10,15% change in CPU might not be noticeable if the CPU is still waiting for the GPU to catch up.

But... I'd love to run some tests if anyone wants to send me 2 hard drives :D

4. thedommer thread starter macrumors regular

hmm. I suppose I can try some tests when the mac gets here. I dont like using CPU if I dont have to.

anyone done any tests? Ireally dont want to spend that rediculous amount on a raid controller. I was hoping there is a third party solution that is just raid0. but I cant seem to find anything. Promise controllers all seem to be windows only.