Mac Pro 09 high pitched noise (whistle) Firewire problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by seisend, Feb 14, 2010.

1. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

hello there,

just got happy about the fix for the audio / performance problem of the 09 mac pro's. Why should it be different, the next problem knocks at my door, hallelujah...

Problem:

When I connect my external audio interface (apogee ensemble) to my mac pro, the mac begins to whistle...

As soon as I turn off my interface again, the whistle is away immediately . The sound is definitively coming from my mac pro and I couldn't locate the problem to a fan. I think it's maybe the firewire controller chip? When I connect my external lacie HD I have no problems at all. I have tried it on both ports on the back side with no success.

The whistle is not constantly on the same noise level. Sometimes it's away for a few seconds, it's high pitched and really annoying though. It does not matter if I playback audio or not. Nothing worked though. I experienced the whistle in the past few months sometimes but it was mostly just for a few minutes or so. But in the past few days it was constantly and it never really stopped. This drives me crazy when I have no audio playing and my room is silent !!

I have no other firewire cable (400 to 800) around to test it. Could this be the culprit also?

every advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

2. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

3. seisend thread starter macrumors 6502a

seisend

I am thinking of buying a PCI-E Firewire card . Maybe this will solve the problem. What do you guys think ? This "peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" sound drives me crazy !!!!!

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Instead of buying extra hardware for a product that's supposed to work flawlessly, I'd rather contact AppleCare.

5. SBell macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem with an Apogee duet. I also have a PCIe Firewire card so I tried connecting the Duet to that to see if there was any difference. There was no difference, the noise was still there and maybe even a little worse.

6. esterhazy macrumors newbie

whistling sound on Duet with Macbook Pro

hi, I also have this problem with a MacBook Pro from 2009, and an Apogee Duet running the latest 'maestro' software. The whistling sounds a little bit like air escaping from a thermos... a little bit 'bubbly', changing in pitch - sometimes very very high, other times coming down a bit... Very annoying.
    By the way, seisend, what was the other audio problem you fixed? I'd rather not have any further surprises...

7. esterhazy macrumors newbie

further...

ok, i think i've misunderstood what other people are reporting. I'm talking about whistling IN THE AUDIO... anyone else?

8. Fredabstract macrumors newbie

i have the same problem with macbook pro 2010 , as soon as i plug firewire it whistle and stop as soon as i unplug , anyone else?seems like not only the macpro need the patch

9. kocheta macrumors newbie

Mac Pro 09 high pitched noise (whistle) Firewire problem

I had the same problem with 8core pro mac and apple said to disconnect everything from the power mac incl power cable and all usb and firewire connections and let it sit for 30 seconds . This is to let it discharge internal static or something like that I forgot exactly how they phrased it . Then reconnect everything again . It worked for me .