Mac Pro '09 non Apple DDR3 Ram

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Whiteyez, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Whiteyez macrumors regular

Does anyone tried other than apples DDR3 ram to the new mac pro? I wan't to put 8GB and im looking for something cheaper than the apple's ram.

2. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I got 8GB from OWC and they seem to work fine. I got the weirdest "memory install correctly" or something like that dialogue when I rebooted. So it must be o.k. :p

3. Whiteyez thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i have seen the OWC ram's but its in US i think, im looking something in Europe. :p

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Crucial, Kingston... Have you tried these? Or Google?! :)

5. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

So am I! I'm in the UK. Crucial didn't sell a 8GB kit and the 6GB was out of stock. I ordered from OWC three days and it worked out cheaper then crucial too.

6. rastersize macrumors member

You can order from OWC if you're in Europe (I did and I live in Sweden) and the delivery time are quite fast too (I think it took about one weeik for me with USPS). If you need to send it back it might be a bit more trouble but that shouldn't happen :p

7. Fomaphone macrumors regular

if you trust iRam, they've got 6GB going for a hundred bucks on newegg right now... might be US only, though

8. Whiteyez thread starter macrumors regular

Did you pay any extra money? Iam asking that because it ships for the US.

9. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

It all comes up on their website when ordering, but i think it was $25 for shipping.

10. Whiteyez thread starter macrumors regular

And your order was....; how much dollars?

11. bigp2 macrumors newbie

12. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Total was $174.98

13. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

14. bzshutter macrumors newbie

Yeah I got that too when I put in my 16gb from OWC. I think it's apple's little app that suggests optimum ram slot configuration if it detects that the RAM is not configured in the best locations. Pretty cool! You don't get that from Windoze. :)

15. ender78 macrumors 6502

I also have 12GB of OWC RAM. No problems whatsoever.

16. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

Just wanted to post a warning, I just got a VAT (tax) bill in.

It was caught at customs and they want another £22.50 or $31.95.

Caught be slightly off guard, but wasn't a total surprise. Customs are often weird at what they catch and what they don't.

17. Whiteyez thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the warn. Thats what im afraid.

18. Mac Husky macrumors regular

Why are you afraid of? Everything you are buying outside the EU is liable to duty. That´s no secret, is it?!
    You can look this up everywhere (see internet customs sides of your country) and why should this be handled different when buying RAM :D
    So it is no suprise you have to be afraid of, but customs clearence. Same with VAT.

All the other costs you can calculate online: fill out destination and zip/postal code and you will find shipping costs.
    Add the costs your credit card may cause for international booking. Plus customs and VAT.

Nevertheless it may be cheaper to import than to buy in a local store. But often it isn´t.

19. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You should, by all means, always expect customs when importing from outside of Europe ;)

That's how the system should work.

Update: Guess I am slow this morning! Looking at you Mac Husky ;)

20. Mac Husky macrumors regular

Not SLOW - just a little bit LATER :D

21. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

The odd thing is I've imported many times before, including from OWC and never got a VAT bill in.
    This is only the second time I've ever recieved a VAT bill, and I regularly import stuff outside of the EU to eBay.

There was an admin charge from FedEx. As it was them that paid VAT and now want it back, But it was still cheaper and easier then ordering from crucial who don't even sell and 8GB kit!

22. Mac Husky macrumors regular

No question - as I medtioned abough. In Germany RAM for Apple is sold by DSP for example. A 2GB stick (DDR3-1066 ECC *Hynix Orignal*) costs € 56,90 today. 8GB would come to € 227,60. OWC is selling the 8GB for € 110,- converted. More than 50% off :eek: Calculating with shipping, comstums and VAT it will still be 20% cheaper. But no 50% enymore.