Mac Pro 09 Octo bad PSU

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by IainH, Mar 27, 2009.

1. IainH macrumors member

So, I took delivery of my CTO Mac Pro today (2.26 octo, 4870, airport)...put my HDDs and eSata card in it...go to plug in power and I hear loud cracks and flash of light (electricity).

Removed everything down to stock, and it plugged in...but buzzed audibly when turned on. Added eSata card, same thing. Added HDDs....very loud buzzing when plugged in - not willing to turn on.

Would I be right to confirm that my 6k Mac has a dead PSU?

2. Marsil macrumors member

Sounds likely... Im sorry to hear that. I just got mine as well - added an extra harddrive and it just started perfect. Get it replaced and your will have a great machine back.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

From what you describe, DEFINITELY the PSU. :(

Don't attempt to turn the machine on again, as a dead PSU can take other things with it, like the board, CPU's, and memory. :eek: Hopefully, it didn't. ;)

4. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

PSU failure should never cause things like sparks, etc, that you can see, as they are usually designed with internal relays or fuses to shut off in the event of a major failure.

The PSU is probably bad now but other parts are probably cooked too. It sounds like your new hardware that you added might have actually caused all of this to happen.

5. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Why not...? You'll get an entire tower replacement... :D:D:p

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

True ;), but it won't cover DATA RECOVERY SERVICES for the HDD's. :eek: :(
    Assuming the data is worth something to begin with. :eek: :D :p :p

7. Eithanius macrumors 65816

That's why it is wiser to have duplicates stored somewhere other than the filling up all the MP drive bays....

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

External backup systems definitely have their advantages, and why they are justifiable cost wise. :)

9. IainH thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for all the replies.

Data on drives is of no use - theyre from my old PC desktop and are all backed up onto an external (which is currently disconnected from power).

Dont think I can call Apple till Monday (Saturday morning at the moment - apple only work weekdays...sigh)

Then probably Ill have to wait another 2 weeks for a replacement...sigh.

10. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

Coming from the PC world, I was used to build highly customized machines and to choose my own PSUs, so I was wondering how good the Mac Pro PSU is (early 2008 and later models). Any info about that?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

They're rated at 980W, and it seems to be the peak value, not the nominal value, so it would really be a 700W continuous unit. Power Factor isn't the greatest in the '06 - '08 models (~72% efficient), but IIRC they did seem to improve it a little in the '09's.

12. Jarman74 macrumors regular

Jarman74

My question wasn't clear enough, so I apologize. Do you regard it as a quality device? Or would you surely consider other models if given the option to?

I have always bought quality PSUs for my computers and, unaware of the reliability of the Mac Pro one, I decided to "help" it with an APC Smart UPS 1500 just to be on the safe side.

13. Dark Goob macrumors regular

Dark Goob

It's really dumb NOT to have a UPS on something like a Mac Pro... if you don't, you're ... dumb! :eek:

On my first G4 tower back in '01, a drunk driver hit a telephone pole and caused a power surge that wiped out a year of photos... that learned me....

... and I've seen Mac Pros trip the breakers just from turning them on, the thirsty beasts that they are.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

They could stand to be better made, as there's been problems with some in the past (bad supplier or batch/s, namely in the '08 models). I'd opt for a better one, but it's not realistic (the wiring harness is custom). Unfortunately, most system vendors take short-cuts with the PSU's in order to save money. :rolleyes: :(

The UPS is a really good thing to have, and you did yourself a major favor by getting it. :) BTW, the Smart line is better than the BackUPS line as well. ;)