Mac Pro 1,1 10.8 -> 10.8.3

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by FireArse, Apr 14, 2013.

1. FireArse macrumors 6502a

All,

I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 with CPUs upgraded to 5355s, 2,1 firmware, 13GB of RAM and a flashed 4870 1GB.

Simply put, the GPU isn't man enough for Flight Sim X - I do want boot screens.

I've got 10.8 running via instructions on this page http://www.jabbawok.net/?p=47 (had an IDE HDD lying around). According to those who know better, the new 7950 will run, IF i can get my OS updated to 10.8.3.

How are people (if at all) getting this update installed? Combo gave me an error and I don't have another machine to hand to install the update through FW disk mode.

FireArse

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

I've tried 7950 and 7870 in 1,1 with 10.7.5 and 10.8.3 (64bit via Chameleon) and couldn't get them to work. That same behavior as in 32bit. Flashed and unflashed, no dice.

3. FireArse thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that is interesting - may I ask which card in particular you tried? Was it the official version?

Safe to presume the card worked OK in Windows?

So the fastest working card verified for 1,1 is 5870?

F

4. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

I would imagine the 7950 will work in a 1,1 just like any other card if you use the Chameleon boot loader, a 64-bit kernel, OS X 10.8.3 and the 64-bit drivers. The benefit of the Mac Edition or a flashed card would be boot screens as apparently it has EBC firmware that works in a 1,1. More details here.

I have not tested it myself, but thought at some point I might try a 7970 Ghz Edition in a 1,1 and flash it for boot screens.

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Tried 2 cards: unflashed 7950 and flashed 7870XT. Both have support in 10.8.3 drivers, 7870XT has "a half of support" in 10.7.5 drivers (adding DID to ATI7000controller.kext is needed). Used 2 versions of Chameleon. Tried 10.7.5 with Sapphire drivers and 10.8.3. No luck. Official card won't work too, I'm 100% positive.

Now I bought 4,1 and both cards do work flawlessly in it, flashed with custom ROMs. Bootscreen, full acceleration and all possible goodness.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

Hopefully someone will find time sooner or later to get to the bottom of this.

If running everything in 64 bit and the cards STILL don't work, it could be Apple "asked" AMD to toss a good old "kneecap 'em" in the driver.

Much like the OpenCl thingey that kept cards over 2GB from working so that Apple's cards looked better, maybe they forced AMD to toss in a line that checks the machine ID.

I have to admit that unfurling the myriad of hex in Kepler EFIs has kept me so busy that I dropped fiddling with AMD 7xxx cards for now. I will eventually get back to it, but who knows when.

Maybe someone knows how to use Chameleon and then use the old Hackintosh trick of "spoofing" a device name and make their 1,1 look like a 3,1 to the OS AND run the 64bit kernel. If that fixes it, we'll know that Apple stacked the deck and will have an idea where to look.

It is such a god-awful tease that you can slap a 7970 into a 1,1 and hold "option" to see various boot disks but ONLY WINDOWS will work.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

^^^Good idea. People booting ML on 1,1/2,1 are using 3,1 model identifier to cure some sleep bugs. Maybe this is the way. I'll try in spare time.

Another thing is bugging me in this issue: isn't it a Chameleon thing? No Chameleon version does support 7xxx cards AFAIK, so you need to use GraphicsEnabler=No to get it start loading OS. Otherwise you'll get "deadbeef" memory allocation error.
    It works for Hacks, though (with GE=No), but with "cold bug". But not for MP.
    Maybe Clover or Chimera would work on genuine Mac Pro...

8. aphexz macrumors newbie

The newest Chameleon 2190 has support for 7xxx in it with graphics enabler=yes.

At the moment I don't have much time, but I'll keep on testing things out.