Mac Pro 1,1 2.66 Temperature question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by johhhn, Oct 21, 2010.

1. johhhn macrumors newbie

Hola,

I've always felt my Mac Pro ran a bit hot and so recently, I replaced a video card (7300) with a 1900xt (flashed of course). I have two video cards,, a 1900xt flashed with upgraded fan and a 3870 (Mac based).. slot 1 and 4 are being used.

I have SMC Fan Control running-- 1700rpm exhaust, 1600 cpu, 600 power supply (doesn't seem to want to go higher), and 1600 HD/Expansion..

Attached is a pic of my temperatures.. I'll post temps in both C and F. I would love comparisons with others that have a Mac Pro 1,1,,, thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If those are idle temps, suggest you reapply some thermal paste. Heck, while your in there, replace those processors with some quads. Makes a big difference. :D

3. chych macrumors member

My Mac Pro 1,1 CPUs idle at ~34C (3 GHz xeons), so I would do something about it. I used to have 2.66 GHz xeons and those were in the mid 40 C range, so I think my application of thermal paste is far better than Apple's. Although my memory temps seem to be way higher than yours, hmm...

4. johhhn thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I let my computer 'idle' all night.. Load average when I got to my computer just now:
    .35, .29, .24

So relatively idle.

Ambient air is 73F and so my cpu temps are a little less,, but as you can see, still quite high compared to some of you guys. I *think* I remember seeing 'em in the 170Fs under heavy load. hmmmm, need to verify that. It's always been like this since day 1-- is it something to really be concerned about? What temps are your guys' hard drives running at?

And what bout my northbridge heatsink? 67C/154F!

thanks for any input guys!

hehehe I was googling around last night and the first post I came across was yours- regarding swapping the cpus! So then I read the other link that described the entire process of upgrading... and yah, I admit, I even went on ebay last night searching for 2.66s and 3s :D didn't find anything good though :( anybody got any octo 3s laying around?

Interesting-- my 2.66s have ALWAYS ran hot,, ever since day one.. in fact, I remember comparing temps long ago to others and mine always seemed high. I was never too concerned though with the cpu temps, mainly hard drive temps-- I always tried to keep those cool.

Attached Files:

5. nekonoko macrumors newbie

I've upgraded my MacPro1,1 to quad 3GHz CPUS; here are my current temps:

Attached Files:

6. johhhn thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool... feel a little better about my temps now ;)

7. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Intel usually publishes heat specs for their processors online. I know my i7-950 is currently running about 45-50c at idle and up to 85c under load. These are 'normal' but higher than they should be if installed 'properly'. I am going to eventually replace the thermal paste since the factory stuff is apparently not that great. I know the Nehalam processors are considered 'normal' and 'safe' below 100c, not sure about the older ones.