Mac Pro 1,1 2.66 Temperature question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by johhhn, Oct 21, 2010.

1. johhhn macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2010

I've always felt my Mac Pro ran a bit hot and so recently, I replaced a video card (7300) with a 1900xt (flashed of course). I have two video cards,, a 1900xt flashed with upgraded fan and a 3870 (Mac based).. slot 1 and 4 are being used.

I have SMC Fan Control running-- 1700rpm exhaust, 1600 cpu, 600 power supply (doesn't seem to want to go higher), and 1600 HD/Expansion..

Attached is a pic of my temperatures.. I'll post temps in both C and F. I would love comparisons with others that have a Mac Pro 1,1,,, thanks!!!

Attached Files:

2. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Sep 24, 2008
    Boon Docks USA
    If those are idle temps, suggest you reapply some thermal paste. Heck, while your in there, replace those processors with some quads. Makes a big difference. :D
  3. chych macrumors member

Apr 28, 2010
    My Mac Pro 1,1 CPUs idle at ~34C (3 GHz xeons), so I would do something about it. I used to have 2.66 GHz xeons and those were in the mid 40 C range, so I think my application of thermal paste is far better than Apple's. Although my memory temps seem to be way higher than yours, hmm...
  4. johhhn thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2010
    So, I let my computer 'idle' all night.. Load average when I got to my computer just now:
    .35, .29, .24

So relatively idle.

Ambient air is 73F and so my cpu temps are a little less,, but as you can see, still quite high compared to some of you guys. I *think* I remember seeing 'em in the 170Fs under heavy load. hmmmm, need to verify that. It's always been like this since day 1-- is it something to really be concerned about? What temps are your guys' hard drives running at?

And what bout my northbridge heatsink? 67C/154F!

thanks for any input guys!

hehehe I was googling around last night and the first post I came across was yours- regarding swapping the cpus! So then I read the other link that described the entire process of upgrading... and yah, I admit, I even went on ebay last night searching for 2.66s and 3s :D didn't find anything good though :( anybody got any octo 3s laying around?

Interesting-- my 2.66s have ALWAYS ran hot,, ever since day one.. in fact, I remember comparing temps long ago to others and mine always seemed high. I was never too concerned though with the cpu temps, mainly hard drive temps-- I always tried to keep those cool.

Attached Files:

5. nekonoko macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2010
    I've upgraded my MacPro1,1 to quad 3GHz CPUS; here are my current temps:

Attached Files:

6. johhhn thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2010
    Cool... feel a little better about my temps now ;)
  7. Bartman01 macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2008
    Intel usually publishes heat specs for their processors online. I know my i7-950 is currently running about 45-50c at idle and up to 85c under load. These are 'normal' but higher than they should be if installed 'properly'. I am going to eventually replace the thermal paste since the factory stuff is apparently not that great. I know the Nehalam processors are considered 'normal' and 'safe' below 100c, not sure about the older ones.