Mac Pro 1,1 3gig 8-core vs..

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AndoverWest, Mar 15, 2010.

1. AndoverWest macrumors newbie

I'm finally ready to replace my aging G5, and I'm shopping around for a new Mac. I have about $2,000 to spend, so even if new stuff is released tomorrow, I probably couldn't afford it. What is the best machine for working in Photoshop, InDesign, Aperture, and Illustrator all at once that I can get for $2K or under?

A friend of mine is offering his Mac Pro 2,1 3gig 8-core for $1,600. It has 6gb of ram, original x1900 video and 250gb hd. I'll probably get two more 1gb sticks.

I've also listed a want ad on local craigslist and have found another 1,1 with two dual 3GHz cpus and 4GB RAM. He wants $1,300, so I might as well get the 8-core, since it'll cost the difference to get another 4gb RAM, right?

Or, should I just get the iMac i7 for $1,900 after student discount, add 4GB RAM and call it a day? I see it's beating the low end Nehalems, even the 8 core, in everyday computing, but would it beat the older 3GHz models?

I have a brand new hard drive and two older 750s that I'd love to pop in a machine, so I prefer the Mac Pro setup over external enclosures. I also like the $4-500 savings, but if that money buys a few more years of use, I don't mind spending it. I loved that my G5 only became 'slow' after I tried to use CS4 and Aperture, giving me 5-6 good years of use.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

there is no 8-core 1,1
    but 2,1

you should not get anything older then 3,1 (2008) because they can not run 64-bit OSX and might not be able to use next OSX because of that. Perhaps not new GPU's either. you should not buy any mac pro right now anyway becuase the new one is releasing tomorrow or very soon, causing any refurb mac pro to drop in price in the following weeks.

3. AndoverWest thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I didn't know what signified the model designation. The back says it's a model A1186 and it uses the 667MHz FB-DIMMs over the 800MHz.

Well, the refurbed 8-core 3GHz with 800Mhz memory (3,1?) is $2700 right now. Will it really drop $800 to put it in my range?

4. gotzero macrumors 68040

I would get the iMac on your budget. I agree that you should stick with 08+ MPs, and $2k will be really limiting, and will not allow you to add RAM/Drives/Graphics that really make the MP stand out.

5. AndoverWest thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, as I said in my first post: I have 4 hard drives already and will need to add RAM in the iMac anyway. 4GB additional is very close to the same price for either a 3,1+ Mac Pro or the iMac.

So, pretty much the verdict is, don't buy an older Mac Pro because they won't run 10.7, don't get a refurb Nehalem because they will drop in price starting tomorrow, get an iMac or wait for the new Mac Pro?

What if I don't care about EFI 32/64? Should I? I'm still running 10.4.8, I don't really keep my OS too up to date, I just like the idea of being able to add a 4GB here and there or replace a video card or hard drive to keep the system performing well.

6. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

the 06 / 07 MP refurbs will drop in price too ofc, since the new gen MP officially makes them one generation older

7. AndoverWest thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish!

My local Craigslist has a quad 3gig 1,1 for $1,800!
    The local Mac used store is selling 3,1 MPs for $100-200 less than the refurb Nehalems through Apple.