Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
So with high sierra coming out and el capitan hitting the bottom of the support chain who thinks that our macs will start to feel their age. i mean next year we won't even get security updates

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
They've been showing their age for some time actually, as the last officially supported system was Lion... We've simply been very lucky to be able to run anyting past 10.7 on these macs.

IMO, a computer shows its age only when it doesn't suit my needs anymore.

Reactions: pixelatedscraps

pb69

macrumors member
May 5, 2017
New Mexico
They've been showing their age for some time actually, as the last officially supported system was Lion... We've simply been very lucky to be able to run anyting past 10.7 on these macs.

IMO, a computer shows its age only when it doesn't suit my needs anymore.

I wonder how long the 3,1s and 4,1s will be usable?

mg1984

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2017
So with high sierra coming out and el capitan hitting the bottom of the support chain who thinks that our macs will start to feel their age. i mean next year we won't even get security updates

Nobody knows when Microsoft will no longer support them :D

Reactions: Synchro3

Mac OS MR

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2017
Australia
Nobody knows when Microsoft will no longer support them :D
Apple haven't even bothered to upgrade OpenSSL to fix Heartbleed, you have to take the matter into yourown hands :/

I'm runnning a flashed 1,1 model, dual quad CPUs, SSDs and Radeon 5770, and I paid under $400 for it. What irritates me is that current Macbooks, vastly slower in many areas, are supported by Apple, while they crippled older Pros intentionally.

dfritchie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2015
I can think of no computer maker that supports an 11 year old machine. They are in the business of selling hardware which would not work well for them if they supported old models forever and I'm ok with that.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
In my country there are still many high profile sound engineers that record and mix live and studio with their 1,1-3,1 Macs, on OS X Snow Leopard to Mavericks. They have invested great deal of cash in their racks and onboard gear/cards that work with those Macs and old operating systems.
Who am I to tell them that they should upgrade 'cause they're using ancient gear?!;)

Edit: But, yes, for "everyday stuff" you're better off with cheapest Macbook (Air?) you could find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.