Mac Pro 1.1 and Airport Extreme Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darfel, May 17, 2009.

1. darfel macrumors member

I have a first gen Mac Pro, I would like to add an Airport Extreme Card but don't know what the part number is. Does anyone know the part number that's compatible with the Mac Pro?

Thanks

2. leavingwave macrumors newbie

661-4060 is the part number for the AP card if you have the 1st ver Mac Pro. post your serial number and i'll double check to confirm if i got the part number right.

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

bearcat, is that card able to achieve N speeds? it doesn't look like it.

5. darfel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link...what's with then big red banner "...not user installable"?

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

means that it will void your applecare unless installed by an authorized apple tech. it's a simple install, so if you are out of the applecare warranty, don't sweat it. toughest part is snapping the antennas onto the leads.

7. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Yes it will. You have to buy the upgraded software from apple. Forget what it cost but think it was 20 bucks.

8. sbobrow5 macrumors newbie

Installation instructions

Hi there - I just found this old post and I am trying to install my card. Does anyone know where I can find installation instructions? The only ones that I found don't seem to be for my machine. I have an early 2006 G5 Tower...?

9. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Just put it in the PCI slot???

You didn't buy one of those little mini-PCI express cards for Mac Pros, did you? Those are for Intel macs.

10. gbryant, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

gbryant macrumors newbie

I just bought a 661-4060 Airport card and the bluetooth adaptor.... looks like the airport just plugs into the pci... how about the bluetooth card? I hope it comes with instructions... because I've had no luck finding them online.

Edit: I just looked through the owners manual... shows the airport card and bluetooth card locations on the board inside the case... but no instructions. Time to open the case...
    Edit #2: Wow!!! Those are really small! Installation looks like a breeze... if Snow Leopard utility works, all is good!

11. gbryant macrumors newbie

Got them installed... don't forget the antenna wires! Those are tiny little wires... a real pain!