Mac Pro 1,1 and iMac 27" as 2nd display

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by villagemusicman, Feb 19, 2013.

1. villagemusicman macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm trying to connect my iMac 27" 2011 as a 2nd display for my Mac Pro. I have a dual DVI link graphics card installed on the MP and am using a minidisplayport to DVI cable to connect the two (Both are running OS 10.6.8). However, the MP display preferences does not show another connected display other then the DELL and trying to go into 'Target Display Mode' does nothing on the iMac (Command-F2).

Am i missing something painfully obvious here, like it won't work :(

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Thanks

VMM

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yeah that won't work. A 2011 iMac is a thunderbolt display therefore it can only work with macs with thunderbolt. Further, you COULD do this with a 2009 or 2010 27" iMac but ONLY if you were working on straight mini displayport. Using a DVI to Mini Displayport is not going to work (at least I haven't seen anyone get it to work....)

Per Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3775

3. villagemusicman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was just about to edit my thread :) .

My iMac doesn't have a Thunderbolt port only the minidisplayport, so it must be a 2010 machine although i've got applecare till Feb 2014.

Should it still work via the minidisplay port though?

Thanks,

VMM

4. villagemusicman thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey ;-)

I think you're right, now i just got figure out which cable the right one is :eek:

Thanks,

VMM

5. KaraH macrumors 6502

One way to use an iMac as a monitor is to use VNC. There is a piece of software (that I forgot the link to, google is your friend) that will make it appear as part of a virtual screen with your usual monitor.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator