Mac Pro 1,1 + ATI 3870 = LOT OF NOISE

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alexus, Apr 7, 2010.

1. alexus macrumors member

Hello,

I just purchased (what i think is very first generation of Mac Pro) which is 1,1 from a friend, he claims that computer gets overheated really easy but as a work around he used some 3rd party utility to increase RPMs and that help in order to keep it running.

I just opened it (it was very dusty inside), I tried to clean it as much as I could, but I think back fan is about to die, when I turn computer on it usually won't even spin up unless I help it by manually spin it a little bit and then it's starts spinning no problem. I obviously don't want to worry about that so I'm looking to get another fan to replace this one.

however this isn't the only problem with the computer...

the other issue with it is that computer has ATI 3870 and it was also very dirty around fan area and I've tried to clean it as much as I could as well, but even after all that when I turn computer on, that fan on video card makes awfully a lot of noise and I either need to replace fan or card itself.

can you suggest what I should do? maybe its an old card and I should just forget about it and get myself something nicer/faster ? or this is "ok" and i should just somehow magically fix that fan (which I'm not so sure how to do it yet)

2. DualShock macrumors 6502

Check here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=541289

A lot of folks have modified their 3870's with Accelero coolers.

When the 3870's came out for the Mac, it seemed that it was hit or miss when getting one with a quiet fan. It's possible that the card you have may have just been one of the loud ones.

3. MaximusNL macrumors newbie

The 10.6.3 update somehow, provides new drivers for the ATi videocards included in the MacPro. The fan on the videocard seems to be more active when there is a sudden increase in GPU demand. This also arises when using Coverflow in iTunes or when sites use Flash applications.

I've reinstalled my MacPro to get rid of the 10.6.3 update because there is no possibility of a roll-back. Just stay at 10.6.2 like I did, or accept the extra complementary noise :)

4. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Exactly what i did with my Mac Pro 1,1 and the 3870...

I unfortunately got a loud card and so bought the acccelero cooler and voila... keeps it cool, keeps it quiet....

5. alexus thread starter macrumors member

i cleaned as much as i could mine... still loud.. i ordered 8800gt
    but i'm thinking to go w/ 4870/4890 actually..

6. JPamplin macrumors 6502

JPamplin

Check the link in my sig to a pictorial tutorial to adding an Accelero S1 to a 3870 - they work fantastic. Don't get rid of that card just for the noise - fix it!

JP