Mac Pro 1,1 booting from efi64 PCI card possible.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cliff8928, Nov 27, 2014.

1. Cliff8928 macrumors newbie

I've been running my Mac Pro 1,1 (upgraded to 2,1 , X5365, HD4870, 32gb, 10.9 with the tiamo efi, etc) booting from a HighPoint RocketRaid 4322. My most recent replacement for the 4322 which I just received Wednesday is the newer 4522. I thought this was a good thing until I found out that the efi firmware for the 4522 was only for efi64 and not efi32 like the 4322. I was wondering if it was possible to boot from the 4522 using Chameleon or Clover since they provide efi64 compatibility.

I can view my RAID array from within Windows 8.1 which is booting from my internal drive, so I know it's working properly.

I figured I'd pick some brans here before making many fruitless attempts at making this work and getting frustrated.

2. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

Legacy booting is a bit less flexible than EFI booting. To do what you need you'd still have to boot from a supported boot device first, so you may as well stick with an EFI boot.

Hackintosh boot loaders don't really provide EFI64 compatibility, they provide just enough EFI64 boot services to load an OS X kernel. If there was a device driver for a boot loader for your card, loaded by the boot loader, then maybe you have a shot. Search the Hackintosh forums for your card and see if people have it working at all.