Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
OK. I almost always read the "won't start" or "won't install" threads, but I've never seen anything like what's happening to me.

Mac Pro 1,1. Upgraded to 8 cores. Apple-branded 5770. 14 gb RAM. Never any problems but minor ones. I did a lot of work on it.

This was my Hilo (HI) machine and I last used it May 2012. When I left it, I pulled the AC power, pulled the disks out and stored them safely away. There it sat for nearly 18 months.

When I moved permanently here from upstate NY (MP 5,1 in hand) I intended to sell the 1,1.

But it wouldn't start. Reset PRAM (several times) and SMC (a couple of times).

I though the disk was perhaps bad, and I was going to do a clean Lion install anyway. Found a Lion DVD. Oops, how to open the disk tray?

Found another disk with Snow Leopard and Vista on it. Started SL, which after a very long time did come up. Opened optical drive, put in Lion, shut down.

Reboot holding Option, there's the DVD, but after some activity, nothing happened for a long time.

OK, back to SL, used Disk Utility to initialize the old system disk.

Tried again. Nope.

OK, what about Vista? Vista started up. More slowly than it should have but it came up and was happy.

So I made a USB installation kit for Lion, and tested it on a Macbook . . . yeah, it booted up and brought me to the install screen. So it worked.

But it would never work in the 1,1. Take out memory, get down to the original set of sticks before I upgraded. Contact cleaner. Nothing. Move the disks around, nothing. Try to install over the SL installation, nothing. Initialize a new disk on the 5,1 pop it in, try both from DVD and USB, nothing.

Let's try Vista again. Yes, the machine boots properly into Vista.

So . . . who's got an idea? What possible hardware problem would let Bootcamp work properly (but, I think, slowly on the boot) but not let a Lion installer get rolling?

Sometimes the USB starts the job (it has an activity light so I know) and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it works properly in a front slot, and sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes there's a lag of several minutes (after I select it in the Options screen) before it starts working.

I have more disks I can try, but I don't think that's the problem.

Summary: DVD install won't work, USB install won't work, different disks make no difference, and the thing boots happily into Vista.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
1,1 has 32 bit EFI you will need Snow Leopard. Lion is EFI64 only.

Early Mac Pros will (should) run Lion just fine. This isn't an EFI limitation.
I have a 2008 Mac Pro at work which doesn't seem to boot from USB anymore for some reason, but haven't diagnosed the problem further. How about putting the installer on a Firewire disk if you have one?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
After 18 months of inactivity, first thing to do should be replacing PRAM battery (esp. if it's still factory fitted one). Although it isn't critical for MP to work, flaky one could produce weird issues.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Early Mac Pros will (should) run Lion just fine. This isn't an EFI limitation.
I have a 2008 Mac Pro at work which doesn't seem to boot from USB anymore for some reason, but haven't diagnosed the problem further. How about putting the installer on a Firewire disk if you have one?

Soz, if it's any consolation my 3,1 refused to boot from any USB at all for 10.8/9. I had to use a Lion DVD-R to set it up then upgrade in place to Mavericks!

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I changed the 2032 battery. No difference.

Then I used my 5,1 and a USB Lion kit to create a new Lion system disk on a spare disk, successfully.

But when I put that disk in the 1,1 it wouldn't boot.

Vista continues to boot happily.

The only thing I can think of is that because I flashed the 1,1 to 2,1 (using something from netkas), then perhaps I have some kind of firmware issue. I don't see how I can check that without being able to boot in some version of OS X.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Still hoping for some ideas . . .

I created a Lion system on a 2.5" FW800 disk. The MBP boots with it happily.

The 1,1 doesn't even see it on Option boot.

I made an Apple firmware restoration DVD but that procedure doesn't work either. The tray never opens and the correct sequence of beeps doesn't happen.

I'm beginning to think that something is obscurely and badly wrong.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I am following your posts with curiosity, as I think my 1,1 may be in the same boat.

I turned mine off two months ago, and recently dragged it out to prepare it for sale. Only after resetting PRAM, it could legacy mode boot its primary Chameleon/64-bit kernel Mountain Lion without issues. But an internal drive with a normal boot Lion install, which never had issues, boots to a never-ending spinner.

I've been very busy so haven't dug in to try and figure out what's wrong, like a single-user mode boot to see where it hangs, and it's stayed off the last few weeks. Maybe next weekend?

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
It's hanging at "waiting for DSMOS . . ." which perhaps explains why Vista will boot but OS X won't.

Even so, this isn't a hackintosh and it's a fresh Lion install on the boot disk, so it's hard to see what could be corrupted.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Wow. Now I'm getting curious and want to try this on my Mac Pro that couldn't boot Lion. I figured it might be your same issue since you can boot Windows (legacy mode boot) and I can boot Chameleon/Mountain Lion (also legacy mode boot) but neither of us can boot Lion (normal EFI32 boot).

Is this at all relevant? You'd probably have to boot the drive on another Mac to try.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I tried that, but couldn't get a response. I'll try it again, but I'm afraid that the boot never got far enough to really give me a general purpose terminal window. The linked page says I ought to be asked for a password, and I never am.

Now I'm wondering if I should start exploring hackintosh stuff -- that is, treat the machine as a PC on which I'd like to install Lion. That might get me far enough along so that I can try to do something about DSMOS and also see about re-flashing the firmware.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Legacy mode boot won't let you flash firmware. It's basically a BIOS-driven PC at that point. Can't get to EFI settings either.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I tried the chown trick -- twice -- and all I got was a slightly-different boot sequence. In both cases the boot halted at waiting for DSMOS.

Who'd have thought? A Mac that refuses to identify itself as a Mac. But that's what I've got.

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
I don't have enough time to play with it much, but I did figure out I could boot into a Windows 7 Boot Camp install.

Lion hangs, in verbose mode after it runs fsck it says
Code:
BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such file or directory
kev_msg_pst returns 55
then, it hangs. Suspect something is different between my problem and yours.

Rich.Cohen

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Washington DC
Just a data point - I'm writing this on what is essentially a stock Mac Pro 1,1 with OSC 10.7.5 installed.

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 2
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Processor): 4 MB
Memory: 22 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005D.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
Thanks.

The issue, though, is that both my 1,1 and Mr Zarniwoops's 1,1 were successfully running Lion before whatever went wrong, went wrong.

So there's no doubt that both our machines have developed faults, because they no longer do what they did without issue before.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I'm still thinking that your problem SMC related. DSMOS reads SMC, that's why FakeSMC kext is needed for hackintoshes.
How did you reset SMC: with button on logic board or "power cable" way?
Try this way (check Service Manual for proper procedures):
– reset RTC
– reset SMC with button
– reset PRAM
– try to boot from Lion DVD/installation HDD

If all above won't help, ultimate way would be re-flashing SMC. Read warning in linked thread and do it on your own risk.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I did it the power cable way.

I can try the logic board reset . . . have to learn where it is, though. I'm sure it's out on the web somewhere.

And if "RTC" doesn't mean "Real Time Clock" then I don't know what it means and haven't reset it.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I used the SMC reset button on the motherboard.

Tried regular boot. Nope.
Tried booting from USB install kit. Nope.
Tried booting from recovery partition. Nope.

No change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.