Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ze_blaze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2016
Hello i recently purched a 2008 mac pro 1.1 i have installed elcapitan and the new boot.efi using my 2011 imac. I have also installed a gtx 750 but my problem is it enters a boot loop and the gpu diagnostic light does not light up the original gpu works i have also tried to install a couple different pc cards and the same thing happens. I have installed the nvidia web drivers and when i boot with the gt 7300 and the 750 the system profiler and nvida web control panel see the 750 but it will not dispaly anything.​

electonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2014
Hello i recently purched a 2008 mac pro 1.1 i have installed elcapitan and the new boot.efi using my 2011 imac. I have also installed a gtx 750 but my problem is it enters a boot loop and the gpu diagnostic light does not light up the original gpu works i have also tried to install a couple different pc cards and the same thing happens. I have installed the nvidia web drivers and when i boot with the gt 7300 and the 750 the system profiler and nvida web control panel see the 750 but it will not dispaly anything.​

Is a defective 750 out of the question?
[doublepost=1468487806][/doublepost]Another idea:

Did you try moving the 750 to other slots? Did you already try to check the PCIe comfiguration utility?

G4DPII

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
A 2008 isn't a 1,1 it's a 3,1.

Why in gods name are you messing abut with the boot.efi from an iMac on a Mac Pro. It's not needed. If the original GPU works start the maching up and install the required web driver from here - us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.10f02/WebDriver-346.03.10f02.pkg

Then in system preference switch to Web Drivers instead of In BUilt OSX drivers. Restart as told, Once restarted, shut down, install 750 or which ever card you want to try and restart the machine. Boot will not be instant. Sometimes it takes a little longer thn normal when first booting to the Web Drivers. If there is not an issue with the card you should have the desktop up.

electonic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2014
A 2008 isn't a 1,1 it's a 3,1.

Why in gods name are you messing abut with the boot.efi from an iMac on a Mac Pro. It's not needed. If the original GPU works start the maching up and install the required web driver from here - us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.10f02/WebDriver-346.03.10f02.pkg

Then in system preference switch to Web Drivers instead of In BUilt OSX drivers. Restart as told, Once restarted, shut down, install 750 or which ever card you want to try and restart the machine. Boot will not be instant. Sometimes it takes a little longer thn normal when first booting to the Web Drivers. If there is not an issue with the card you should have the desktop up.

I think he meant to say that he installed El Capitan from the iMac to the Mac Pro 1,1 using Target Disk mode and then replaced the boot.efi, so that El Capitan would boot up on his mp1,1, which otherwise would no be able to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.