Mac Pro 1,1 - Expansion Slot Utility - running below maximum speed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by luisramz, Oct 10, 2014.

1. luisramz macrumors newbie

Hello everybody

After getting a bad diagnose for my old mac pro 1,1. my cinema display and 4gb (2x2gb) of ram memory were broken and I was left with a working 1gb (2x512mb) cpu... :(

I bought a NEC EA244WMi 24" monitor and 8gb (2x4gb) ram memory and put everything in place

After the first boot I got 9gbs and a working monitor but also a weird message from the expansion slot utility which I am attaching here

[​IMG]

also here is my graphics/display screenshot

[​IMG]

This is the first time I get this message and I am not sure what it is, hope you can give me some help or advise

Thanks

2. Antoni Nygaard macrumors 6502a

Antoni Nygaard

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

4. zayaso macrumors member

Your card appears to need a x16 PCI-E (16 lanes)interface to work properly and your MP has 4 PCI-E slots for a max total of 26 lanes.
    By default your first slot is x16 , second is x1, third & fourth is x4 (25 lanes with your max being 26). However, if you introduce another PCI-E card into your system, your MP will ask you how to configure your lanes- the screenshots you provided.
    According to your screenshot, slot #1 is vacant- move your card there and the problem should be resolved.

5. luisramz thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

I changed the graphics card to slot 1 and here it goes!!

[​IMG]

Thank you very much guys!!

6. zayaso macrumors member

7. ulrich norman macrumors newbie

ulrich norman

Is it possible to run slot3 with 8times rather than slot4. I have two ATI-Radeon HD 5770 1024MB. Each card occupies 2 slots. The first card goes to slot 1. The only configuration offered by the expansion slot utility with 8x for a second slot is for slot 4. But the card can only be put in slot 3, because it is too thick. Thats why I am asking how to change the configuration to
    slot 4
    slot 3 8x
    slot 2
    slot 1 16x

or slot 1 and 2 to 16x

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I don't think so. But I believe the performance impact is just few % (unless some specific software that really bandwidth limiting), you may run some benchmarking software to test it.

9. orph macrumors 6502a

im not even shore if a 7300 GT will have speed problems even with a 8x lane, if you want to keep it in slot 2.

in windows my GTX770 is only on a x16 lane and in afterbuner i tend to only see the lane being 20-30% used, if i remember ill try luxmarks and see what usage is (as i gess that may be more than in games?)