Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahonciano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Hi,

So I'm not a new Apple user, and I understand a lot about hardware. I was offered $300 for a Mac Pro 1,1, but I know about the OS Limitations and application support is now up to 10.8 minimum.

From what I read, it cannot be upgraded because of the firmware being 32 bit. I've read around how people are modifying this to fool the 10.8 to install and unblacklist the system.

Now, I understand that the OS is 64, so is Adobe CC suite, but seeing that the kernel is still 32big regardless of mods, what are the cons to this?

I've read a lot of success stories how it works, their system is fast and all. I'm just curious what limitations am I faced when doing the mod? Will it cause apps to not work in 64Bit? I know that only certain upgrades (hardware wise) can be done, but not all.

I appreciate any clarification you have on this? I do have the option to spend $400 more on a 2008 model, which I believe is a 2,1 with a 64bit firmware. However this 2006 1,1 model has 16GB of ram (which I plan to upgrade).

Thank you!

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Hi,

So I'm not a new Apple user, and I understand a lot about hardware. I was offered $300 for a Mac Pro 1,1, but I know about the OS Limitations and application support is now up to 10.8 minimum.

From what I read, it cannot be upgraded because of the firmware being 32 bit. I've read around how people are modifying this to fool the 10.8 to install and unblacklist the system.

Now, I understand that the OS is 64, so is Adobe CC suite, but seeing that the kernel is still 32big regardless of mods, what are the cons to this?

I've read a lot of success stories how it works, their system is fast and all. I'm just curious what limitations am I faced when doing the mod? Will it cause apps to not work in 64Bit? I know that only certain upgrades (hardware wise) can be done, but not all.

I appreciate any clarification you have on this? I do have the option to spend $400 more on a 2008 model, which I believe is a 2,1 with a 64bit firmware. However this 2006 1,1 model has 16GB of ram (which I plan to upgrade).

Thank you!

Welcome aboard,

1. The ability to upgrade beyond 10.7.5 is fairly trivial. There is a long-running thread on how to do this here in the forum. And an enterprising individual has provided an even easier way - see bullet 3d.

2. There are no cons (so far). The only part that is 32-bit is the bootloader, the OS itself is 64-bit. Most of my apps are 64-bit, the only one that has issues is an incredibly poorly written program called Daz Studio 4. (A program should NEVER, EVER, EVER visit ring 0.)

3. AFA upgrades. Whatever you decide to do, don't spend more than $800 (total). For that price you can pick up an 8 core 4,1 @ 2.26Ghz - which has the same speed as fully maxed out 2,1 and can be upgraded to be faster than an iCan.

3a. Memory is cheap - 8Gb (2x4Gb) can be had for less than $40 via ebay.
3b. CPU upgrades are cheap - a pair of Xeon 5365 (3.0Ghz) can be had for less than $140.
3c. Video cards - too many options to list. The forum has some threads on this.
3d. Hard drive upgrades - a 1,1 has 2 additional SATA II ports on the logic board, so you can have 6 hard drives internally, before you get exotic. Speaking of hard drives, there is a guy on ebay selling a 240 SSD with 10.10 preloaded on it specifically set up for 1,1 & 2,1 users.
3e. SATA II limitations - the 1,1 has a SAS plug on the logic board, so you could get a SATA III card & completely bypass the the SATA II subsystem on the logic board - the cards are kinda pricey, but it can be done.

VAGDesign

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2014
Greece
Hello and welcome to forums.

Read here how to make it happen: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/

Everything works on 64bit, it's the boot "chip" only that works in 32bit and our members here has "patched" some files from the latest OS (10.9 and 10.10) and it works with a way that thinks it's a newer model with 64bit chip.

So, if you want to save money, get the 1.1 which you can upgrade to 2.1with CPU upgrade etc. But if you want to invest for the next 3-4 years, get a 4.1 or a 5.1.

I use Adobe CC with no problems on mine (see the specs on my signature)

I hope this helps.

ahonciano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2015
Welcome aboard,

1. The ability to upgrade beyond 10.7.5 is fairly trivial. There is a long-running thread on how to do this here in the forum. And an enterprising individual has provided an even easier way - see bullet 3d.

2. There are no cons (so far). The only part that is 32-bit is the bootloader, the OS itself is 64-bit. Most of my apps are 64-bit, the only one that has issues is an incredibly poorly written program called Daz Studio 4. (A program should NEVER, EVER, EVER visit ring 0.)

3. AFA upgrades. Whatever you decide to do, don't spend more than $800 (total). For that price you can pick up an 8 core 4,1 @ 2.26Ghz - which has the same speed as fully maxed out 2,1 and can be upgraded to be faster than an iCan.

3a. Memory is cheap - 8Gb (2x4Gb) can be had for less than $40 via ebay.
3b. CPU upgrades are cheap - a pair of Xeon 5365 (3.0Ghz) can be had for less than $140.
3c. Video cards - too many options to list. The forum has some threads on this.
3d. Hard drive upgrades - a 1,1 has 2 additional SATA II ports on the logic board, so you can have 6 hard drives internally, before you get exotic. Speaking of hard drives, there is a guy on ebay selling a 240 SSD with 10.10 preloaded on it specifically set up for 1,1 & 2,1 users.
3e. SATA II limitations - the 1,1 has a SAS plug on the logic board, so you could get a SATA III card & completely bypass the the SATA II subsystem on the logic board - the cards are kinda pricey, but it can be done.

Holy cow, thank you so much!! I was looking at the later models too, and they are getting pricier at $800 for the dual quads, but crap on the ram and HD. Since I'm on a smaller budget, it seems I can upgrade a 1,1 computer for about $200+, making it about $500.

What is AFA?

----------

Hello and welcome to forums.

Read here how to make it happen: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/

Everything works on 64bit, it's the boot "chip" only that works in 32bit and our members here has "patched" some files from the latest OS (10.9 and 10.10) and it works with a way that thinks it's a newer model with 64bit chip.

So, if you want to save money, get the 1.1 which you can upgrade to 2.1with CPU upgrade etc. But if you want to invest for the next 3-4 years, get a 4.1 or a 5.1.

I use Adobe CC with no problems on mine (see the specs on my signature)

I hope this helps.

Excellent, ya, I've been reading around the procedures, I just wasn't sure about any short comings for going 1.1 with a moded firmwared.

zfxp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
x5355 x2 = $35 on ebay = 2.66ghz 8 core xeon bliss.
16gb ram on ebay

and you've got yourself one hell of a machine.
These are the components I purchase for my customers who want to upgrade their 1,1's

audio_inside

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2003
Boulder CO
x5355 x2 = $35 on ebay = 2.66ghz 8 core xeon bliss.
16gb ram on ebay

and you've got yourself one hell of a machine.
These are the components I purchase for my customers who want to upgrade their 1,1's

That's the upgraded 8-core config on my MacPro1,1, now running a Tiamo'd 10.9.2. My Geekbench scores are over 9000. Not bad for a machine whose market value is only about $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.