Mac pro 1.1 ghz vs Macbook pro i5

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Crugga, Jul 29, 2011.

  1. Crugga macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    #1
    Hi.
    I posted this on the Macbook forum but i'll try here also.
    At present I have a Mac pro 1.1 3.0ghz 6gb ram 1tb hdd which I bought a few years back. I use it mainly for music production, it runs masses of vsts as well as other software fine without issue and I never really max it. I also run Turbolister in bootcamp which it runs amazingly. I know from past experience that Turbolister uses a lot of power, my brothers windows pc takes about 15 seconds each listing when dragging a photo into a listing while the Mac takes about 3 seconds.
    I also have a bog standard 2008 macbook which is used for work when im at my storage unit as well as if im sat in the lounge at home or if im away or something as well as being used a fair bit for work.
    Ive been thinking of selling the macbook and the pro then purchasing a new macbook pro to use for everything. Seems a shame that the crappy macbook(I use that description comparably) gets much more use than the mac pro.
    What I really want to know is how would a new Macbook pro i5 stand up against the mac pro in pretty heavy programs?. My other option is just to sell the macbook and upgrade to a pro but then I dont know if I can justify or afford that.
    I know the pro is 5 years old but it still wipes the floor with my mates 2009 macbook pro and destroys my macbook.

    Any opinions or anyone that has done both/owns both and can compare would be much appreciated.
     
  2. TwoScoops macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    #2
    Well, you have to ask yourself the question. 'Does my current Mac Pro still satisfy my needs?'.
     
  3. Crugga thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    #3
    Its more than good enough but id say its only used for say 20% of my computer use. The other 80% being the macbook.
    The macbook is not good enough and I do need to upgrade that regardless, I guess its almost a shame seeing the mac pro get so little use while the macbook gets so much.
     

Share This Page