Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Justin Zimmermann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Hello everyone,
i have a little issue with my mac Pro 1.1.
Today I bought a new graphicscard (R7 260x) and my system boots naturally in windows and does this absolutely fine and everything works perfect, but if I try to boot into mac os (using bootcamp) I just have a blackscreen and nothing happens, if I swap my graphics card back to the 7300gt it works again.
Anyone any ideas?
And no im not talking about bootscreen I know that the new card doesnt support the bootscreen.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello everyone,
i have a little issue with my mac Pro 1.1.
Today I bought a new graphicscard (R7 260x) and my system boots naturally in windows and does this absolutely fine and everything works perfect, but if I try to boot into mac os (using bootcamp) I just have a blackscreen and nothing happens, if I swap my graphics card back to the 7300gt it works again.
Anyone any ideas?
And no im not talking about bootscreen I know that the new card doesnt support the bootscreen.

Old Mac OS does not have drivers to support new graphic cards. That's all I can think of.

Justin Zimmermann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Old Mac OS does not have drivers to support new graphic cards. That's all I can think of.
That’s interesting because my friend has a gtx 660 thats runs fine in my pc and on youtube there are a lot of videos of people putting modern high end cards in their old macs.

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Today I bought a new graphicscard (R7 260x) and my system boots naturally in windows and does this absolutely fine and everything works perfect, but if I try to boot into mac os (using bootcamp) I just have a blackscreen and nothing happens.

The Radeon R7 260x may work in a Hackintosh, but not on a real Mac. The device ID 0x6658 is not recognized by macOS. To make it work, you would need to spoof the device ID.

Justin Zimmermann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
The Radeon R7 260x may work in a Hackintosh, but not on a real Mac. The device ID 0x6658 is not recognized by macOS. To make it work, you would need to spoof the device ID.

First of all thanks for the advice,
this is really sad since I just bought it but you sad I can „spoof“ the device ID to make it work?
Can I do this by mysel, if yes how and is it harmful for my card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.