Mac Pro 1.1 Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LoOnBoY, Sep 1, 2010.

1. LoOnBoY macrumors newbie

Hiyas i am having a bit of a problem i brought the computer with 9gb of memory in it. So today i got another 1gb strip of memory to make it up to 10gb of ram. But the problem is i got 8 gb on the top shelf witch has 4 2gb strips of ram in it. And the bottom shelf as 2 512 strips of ram in it. I moved the 2 512s down a slot and put my new 1gb strip at the top and then i booted up my mac pro then went to system info and it coming back as 8gb. But there is 10gb in the computer so i thought i just put the new 1gb in on it self and it work fine then i put the 1gb on it own on the bottom self and the computer did not start up so i put the 1gb back to the top shelf and it worked again so then i thought i put the 2 512s in with the new 1gb then it can back and said i only had 1.5gb in the mac pro so then i tryed moving the shlf to the bottom slot and then it didn't boot so i thought i put it all back to as it was and it cam back with 9gb again so i thought i put the new 1gb strip into the computer again and see if it works then i came back as only showing 8gb again so im really confused i got the memory from ebay heres the link it was brand new http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....582766&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_536wt_1139 the part number of the ram is CT12872AF667 please get back to me it wold be very helpful thanks loonboy

2. DualShock macrumors 6502

3. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Silly question but did you buy only one stick because they have to be installed in pairs.

4. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i only brought one stick of ram do i need 2 to make it up to 11gb

5. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

crap so that ram wont work in the computer if i buy another 1 gb strip to make a pair if not where can i get mac ram from for cheap i aint got a lot of money now lol please let me know if they ram i brought will work so i can just buy another one thanks

6. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

im in uk and them sites are america so no one out the can tell me if it save to use the memory sticks i got if a buy another one and pair them because they only 20 pounds thanks

7. DualShock macrumors 6502

I'm not completely sure about this (maybe someone else can chime in), but I believe that when you buy a "pair" of RAM sticks, they must be manufactured at or around the same time. So if you just buy another single stick there's no guarantee that this is the case. You'd need to buy them together in a kit. But again, I'm not too sure about that.

Crucial has a UK store:

http://www.crucial.com/uk/

and OWC ships international, though I don't know anything about customs or VAT's or the like.

8. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

Can any one else shine a light on this do they both need to be made at the same time its all confusing and the mac ram is a lot of money lol thanks

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Just buy another of what you got. Might want to ditch the 512mb modules as they slow things down.

Put the 2GB modules you already have so that 2 are on each of the memory risers, in the first two slots on each riser. Then add the two 1GB modules to board A. If you want that extra 1GB with the 512mb modules then put them on board B.

10. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

so i just buy another one of the same and put them in a pair and it should all work and can this memory be used in the mac because of the heat sinks same specs but looks different its all confusing sorry for being a pain

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's not specifically for a Mac Pro but it will work. Plenty of people bought cheaper non-Mac Pro specific memory and I don't recall many complaints. Your other option is to return it and wait for some Mac Pro specific memory to come on eBay which it often does.

12. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

do u suggest that i just buy another 1gb of the same and just suck it and see do u use all mac ram thanks

13. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

any one else got any tips on what to do and if its ok just to use that ram in a pair thanks

14. mmulin macrumors 6502

All RAM must have the following specs:
    DDR2 240 Pin Fully-Buffered DIMM 667MHz ECC

It must(!) be installed in equal pairs according to instructions above.
    The build on heatsinks are not a must but greatly helps with the longevity of your RAM.

So, you have two choices:
    - buy another stick of the same if it fullfills above specs
    - buy specific RAM for your model from OWC etc http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#667-memory

You can ask OWC to declare the shipment as $5 electronic parts which should void high VAT or import fees with a mostly minute risk involved.

15. LoOnBoY thread starter macrumors newbie

dont think i can get another same so is that the best place to buy from how much in pounds will it be then rom there thanks

16. GlynJones macrumors 6502