Mac Pro 1,1 network connectivity issues in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by makoffee, Sep 7, 2010.

1. makoffee macrumors newbie

Hey everybody,
    Thanks in advance for the help - I rarely post questions unless I've exhausted all other means.

Here's the problem... on my Mac Pro v1,1 network connectivity is just fine over gigabit either-net. The trouble starts when I boot into windows 7 pro (64bit) to play a game. Networking starts out fine, and then intermittently drops, as if I don't even have an ip address. It wont connect until I force it to renew the DHCP lease or unplug the cable and re-plug it in again.

This is only on Windows 7. Life is good on the macos side.

Has anyone ever seen this or have a fix for it?

2. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

I've seen problems with wireless networking on Macs (Mac Pro, MacBook Pro) running various flavors of Windows (XP, Vista, 7) but I have not come across issues with wired connections.

That said, the symptoms you describe (network inexplicably dropping out) are exactly what I have seen on wireless. I recall having to go out and find alternative drivers for the network hardware on my machine(s), replacing the Bootcamp-supplied drivers. Of course that brings to mind the question: did you install the Bootcamp drivers? I would try that first if you have not.

BTW: I just installed Windows 7 on a MacPro1,1 for my wife this past weekend and it works fine for her on wireless using the Bootcamp 3.0.2 drivers (supplied with Snow Leopard). Did not try it on wired though.

3. chych macrumors member

Mac Pro 1,1 doesn't "officially" support Win 7 64-bit, maybe the 64-bit drivers are flaky and you need to find newer ethernet drivers? I just use Win 7 32-bit without any network issues.

4. thirdkind macrumors member

I installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit in my Mac Pro 1,1 last week and have had no issues so far. Here's the kicker: I didn't install the Boot Camp drivers for anything. I ran Boot Camp Assistant to start the installation process, and once I had Windows up and running, I ran Windows Update, which installed drivers for pretty much everything--networking included. It even provided the latest drivers for my flashed 4870 1GB. I did have to download the RealTek drivers to get the sound working, however.

I've been playing Steam games (noticeably better performance than their Mac-native counterparts) and downloaded at least 20GB of data with no connection issues.

I have one device in Device Manager that's coming up as unknown, but everything is so stable and fast, I don't care what it is. I want to say it's the Bluetooth module because I can't seem to find that in the list anywhere. Thankfully, I don't use it.

5. Rad macrumors regular

WIndows 7 Pro 64

No problems (network or other) running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on my Mac Pro 1,1.